Prostate enlargement can cause certain problems with urination which many men find frustrating. Usually, prostate enlargement causes problems like difficulty in emptying the bladder, decreased stream of urine, frequent huge to pass urine, etc.
Yoga can wonderfully help to manage the symptoms of enlarged prostate with ease. BPH also occurs due to changes in the hormone levels as a man gets older. A bit enlargement of the prostate with the age is the normal part of the aging process and is not at all dangerous. Many men want to improve the symptoms of an enlarged prostate to minimize the discomforts it causes. This article will tell you how to manage prostate enlargement and there would be different poses that can help. (Also Read: Prostate Problems Causes )
Also Read: Prevention Diet to cure Enlarged Prostate
Meaning of BPH ( Benign Prostate Hyperplasia)
The prostate is a small gland which is about the size of the walnut. It is a crucial part of a man’s reproductive system. The prostate surrounds the urethra which is a tube that takes the urine out of the body via the bladder. When the prostate enlarges, it puts pressure on the urethra. Thus enlargement of the prostate makes it harder for the men to urinate.
Men suffering from BPH struggle with discomforts in passing urine and tend to heaviness in the bladder. They feel like they need to go again after the urination and also face problems in trying to stop urinating.
Yoga poses for BPH
Yoga is the best natural way to cure the symptoms of prostate enlargement. The following are yoga poses that are perfect for strengthening the pelvic floor. As the muscles of pelvic floor become stronger, it improves symptoms of an enlarged prostate. Yoga also effectively helps to reduce stress.
Let’s gain an insight into all the effective yoga poses beneficial for prostate enlargement:
Cobbler Pose (Baddha Konasana)
Cobbler Pose is a seated position which can help to release pelvic tension. This yoga pose strengthens the pelvic muscles and enables the person to get rid of problems related to passing urine.
To perform cobbler pose, you should:
- Sit down with your legs extended in front of them
- Bend knees to the side while placing the soles of feet together which as close to your pelvis as you can
- Hold your hands clasped around the feet
- You should lower the knees as far to the ground which will release the tension in hips
- After holding the position for a few minutes, put your hands in out front of them
- Tuck in your chin and bend forward toward the hands
- Breathe deeply into the pose
- Relax your pose by walking hands back to the body and releasing legs out in front of them
Hero Pose (Virasana)
Hero pose is also another seated position that helps to release the pelvic tension around the prostate. This yoga pose eases out the heaviness that prostate enlargement causes. To perform this Hero Pose properly, you should follow these steps:
- Kneel down and lower the bottom to the floor, they are sitting between their feet with knees to the floor and the feet pointing back to the room
- Rest your hands on thighs with the palms down
- Keep your weight between hips and try not to put much pressure on the knees
- Try to sit straight upright as possible, so the spine is straight
- Hold this for 5 minutes
- Get out of this pose by rolling to one side which will release your legs
If you find this pose difficult, you can use a cushion of support.
Also Read: 5 Home Remedies For Prostrate Problems
Reclining Big Toe Pose (Supta Padangusthasana)
Reclining big toe pose is a lying-down, extension pose that strengthens the pelvic floor and it releases the tension. It brings major symptomatic relief in an enlarged prostate. To perform the reclining big toe pose properly, the person should:
- Lie on your back with both your legs extended
- Bend your left knee, pulling your thigh to their chest
- Keep your right leg pressed into the floor with your foot flexed and your toes pointing upwards.
- Hold on to your toes on their left foot or put the strap around the foot if it’s less flexible
- Straighten the left leg as far as you can with your sole flexed towards the ceiling
- Breathe deeply into the position
- With the help of the strap, let your left leg drop out towards on the side at the right angle to your body while keeping your right leg pressed to the ground
- To get out of this position, bring your left leg above them and release both legs
- Repeat the same process on the other side
Head-to-knee pose (Janu Sirsasana)
The head-to-knee pose is also a seated pose that focuses on stretching one leg. As well as it reduces the pelvic tension, Janu Sirsasana improves the strength in the core region. Some of the yoga practitioners believe this yoga pose increases the blood flow to the prostate and detoxifies it. To perform the head-to-knee pose properly, a person should:
- Sit on the floor with both your legs extended in front
- Bend your right knee to the side, so that your sole of right foot can rest against the inner thigh
- Keep your weight on the left leg and slowly walks your hand in front of them
- Reach forward to hold your foot, lean forward from the hips and look forward to your toe
- Tuck your chin in and bend your head forward to rest on their shin
- Breathe deeply to release the tension
- Slowly return to the upright position while releasing both legs
- Repeat this on the other side
Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
Bow Pose is lying down pose in which the back is bent that strengthens the abdomen, lower back & pelvic floor. It is simple yet effective in dealing with the discomforts of prostate enlargement. To perform the bow pose, the person should:
- Lay on your stomach with your arms at either side
- Lift your heels up towards the bottom while bending the knees
- Reach your back with your palms facing upwards, hold each ankle from the inside
- Kick your heels upwards while raising your head, shoulders & chest
- Keep looking upwards and breathe deeply into the position
- Hold this for 30 seconds and release, repeat this pose twice
Shoulder stand (Sarvangasana)
Shoulder stand is an advanced yoga pose that you should try if you build more strength in your pelvic floor. Shoulder stand also helps in strengthening the lower back muscles and improve overall body posture.
To perform the shoulder stand, the person should:
- Lie down on your back while resting your head on the ground with hands resting on the ground on either side of the body
- Keeping your feet and legs together, raise your legs upwards to lift your hips off the ground
- Put your hands on the lower back so that hips and back are lifted which leaves just the shoulders and head on the ground
- Try to keep your legs straight and in line with hips while holding the stomach in
- Breathe deeply while this pose
- Hold as long as you can
- Slowly lower your legs down while keeping your back supported with their hands to come out of this position
It’s essential while performing any kind of exercise, a person stops if they can experience any pain or existing pain can become worse. All yoga poses should be performed to an individual’s ability. With practice, the exercises should become easier to do. It is best if you perform these yoga asanas under expert’s observation.
Also, if in your case, yoga does not bring desired results in coping up with prostate enlargement, consult a doctor. You should consult a specialist doctor (urologist) to discuss about your symptoms of prostate enlargement. the doctor will recommend you the best suited- treatment depending upon the severity of urinary problems.