Why the vagina gets dry at 40?
The most common symptom of menopause is the dryness of the vagina. It can start at any stage of menopause. Moreover, vaginal dryness mostly affects women between 45-60 years of age. Due to this reason, women in their forties are unable to get intimate with their partner which leaves them sexually deprived.
The vagina is naturally lubricated. There are mucous glands at the vaginal entrance that provide lubrication. Apart from keeping the vagina moist, it protects the genital area from an injury or tearing. With age, due to hormonal change leading to menopause, the vaginal lining gets thinner. As the walls get thinner there are fewer cells that secrete moisture. This is the main reason the vagina gets dry for women in their forties or fifties. This makes sex very painful and uncomfortable for women belonging to these age groups.
Also Read: 10 Health Risks Women Face After Menopause
What are the causes of vaginal dryness?
Now that you know that the vagina is self-lubricated, it is quite clear that some changes in the body can cause the vagina to get dry. The risk increases in the following cases-
- Our gynecologist, Dr. Garima Sawhney explains that when women reach their menopausal age, the estrogen levels drop. This makes the vaginal tissues thinner, dry, and less elastic.
- Nicotine present in cigarettes can decrease lubrication in women which can lower sexual performance. The habit of smoking also lowers sex hormone levels in women.
- Certain medications such as antihistamines and antidepressants can cause vaginal dryness or lower sex drive as side effects.
- Excessive stress can lower sex drive which ultimately leads to less lubrication.
- Certain medical conditions such as Sjone’s syndrome
How to know if the vagina is dry?
There are several symptoms that can indicate the vagina is losing its moisture. A woman over 40 can experience any one or a combination of any of the following symptoms-
- Itchiness in the intimate area which can be both external and internal. There can be external itchiness due to the drying of vulvar tissues which lead to loss of acidic nature of these tissues.
- Loss of sexual desire due to more friction that damages the vaginal membranes and ultimately causes bleeding and pain.
- Frequent infections in the urinary tract because the vagina is unable to protect itself from harmful bacteria or yeast. The acidity of the vagina protects the vagina to keep several infections such as Vaginal Candidiasis at bay.
- Thinning of the vaginal wall or tightening of the vagina which causes penetration difficult.
- Frequent urge to urinate as the walls get thinner and you are unable to hold the urine
- Pain and discomfort during sex
Also Read: Female Dryness or Vaginal Dryness Cure
What is the proper treatment for vaginal dryness?
The first line of treatment for vaginal dryness is medications such as lubricants and moisturizers. The previous can increase moisture and make sex less painful while the later maintain the vagina’s moisture naturally.
There are certain dos and don’ts that you can follow to treat dryness in the intimate area.
|Use vaginal moisturizers such as creams to keep the lining of the vagina moist||Do not use scented soaps, washes to wash the intimate area|
|Use water-based lubricants before sex for easy penetration during sex||Do not put creams such as petroleum jelly inside the vagina or else it can infect the area|
|Use soaps and washes for the intimate area without any scent||Avoid douching to maintain the balance between good and bad bacteria|
|Indulge in more foreplay for better arousal|
|Eat foods that are rich in phytoestrogens such as soy, nuts, seeds, and tofu.|
|Wear cotton wear to promote good airflow and allow the vagina to breathe.|
Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation
With the introduction of laser treatment, a woman can now rejuvenate their intimate area under 20 minutes. The whole process takes 4-5 sessions to complete and the results last for 4-5 years. It is a painless procedure that women on her forties or reaching the menopausal age can opt for to get rid of vaginal dryness, stress urinary incontinence, etc. These are performed on an outpatient basis so you won’t have to worry about staying back at the hospital.
Yes, it is true that dryness in the vagina can cause extreme itchiness and discomfort when women reach the menopausal age. Apart from the above treatment options, you can undergo the most advanced laser vaginal rejuvenation to cure vaginal dryness. Moreover, there is another option known as the Vaginal PRP which involves injecting hormones into the vagina. Both these 10-20 minutes procedures can help with the condition of vaginal dryness. Contact our doctor today to know more about vaginal dryness and its treatment.