Erectile dysfunction occurs when a man is not able to maintain or get an erection. It’s common in men of all ages. Facing erectile dysfunction once in 2-3 months is fine. But if it becomes an ongoing problem, it needs medical intervention in time.
Causes and risk factors for erectile dysfunction are as follows:
- Prostate cancer
- Alcohol use
- High cholesterol diet
- Low levels of physical activity
- Cardiovascular disease
How does exercising help in erectile dysfunction?
Exercising on a regular basis boosts the blood flow to the pelvis and allows the reproductive organs to function properly. Not just this, exercising also strengthens the core of the body. Exercises that strengthen the muscles of the pelvic floor can benefit the people suffering from erectile dysfunction. The pelvic floor muscles are important in sustaining the blood flow to the penis and maintaining erections. The muscles do this by putting the pressure on the penile veins. The pressure then prevents blood from leaving the area, making an erection possible.
So, below are some exercises which are beneficial for erectile dysfunction:
Kegels or pelvic floor exercises are most suitable for erectile dysfunction. These exercises target the muscles which are at the bottom side of the pelvis. The muscle which gets targeted by this exercise is pubococcygeus. So, performing pelvic floor exercises will definitely strengthen the pubococcygeus. Thus, prove to be very effective in coping up with erectile dysfunction.
Activating Pelvic Floor Muscles
This exercise is simple to do but it’s also important. It allows a person to activate pelvic floor muscles.
- Lie down with your knees bent, your feet flat on the floor and arms by the sides.
- Exhale and squeeze your pelvic floor muscles for a count of three.
- Inhale and release for a count of three.
- Take time to identify the right group of muscles- which are present at the bottom of the pelvis.
Sitting pelvic floor activation
- Sit with your arms at sides and the feet flat on the floor.
- Using the same technique as above will activate the pelvic floor muscles for a count of three and release after a count of three.
- Do ensure that buttocks, stomach and leg muscles are not contracting.
These pilate exercises activate the right group of muscles and maintain pelvic floor strength while moving. Pilates are highly beneficial in keeping away issues like erectile dysfunction. But you must know that proper training is necessary to learn pilate properly to avoid any injuries or muscle pull.
- Lie down with your knees bent, with feet flat on the floor and arms by your sides.
- Keep your spine in a neutral position, there should be a small space between the back and the floor.
- Exhale, squeeze your pelvic floor muscles and then slowly lower your one knee to the floor. Lower it as far as possible while maintaining activation of pelvic floor muscles.
- Inhale, release the muscles and bend the knee.
- Repeat the exercise on the other side.
- Start with four repetitions on each side.
Supine foot raises
- Lie down with your knees bent, with feet flat on the floor and arms by sides.
- Exhale, engage the pelvic floor muscles and raise one foot off the floor. Keep your pelvis still.
- Inhale and lower the foot back to the ground
- Now, switch sides.
- Lie down with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor and arms to your sides.
- Keep your spine in the neutral position with space between your back and floor.
- Exhale and engage the pelvic floor muscles.
- Tilt your pelvis toward the belly button, while pressing the back flat against the floor.
- Slowly lift your buttocks while lifting it and the lower back.
- Take three breaths and squeeze your buttocks and pelvic floor muscles.
- Repeat this exercise three to four times and do 10 repetitions.
Other physical activities that can help you in getting rid of erectile dysfunction are aerobic excerises, and yoga asanas. You can perform simple yoga exercises such as Dhanurasana, Paschimottanasana, Siddasana, Shavasana, etc (Also Read: Yoga poses and aerobic exercises for erectile dysfunction)
Here are some diet tips to follow while doing these exercises for erectile dysfunction for maximum results. Diet and weight loss are important aspects oferectile dysfunction treatment. People suffering are more likely to be overweight and inactive. Consumption of alcohol also plays a vital role in erectile dysfunction.
Limit the intake of added salt, fat, and sugar which will help to reduce the risk of having erectile dysfunction. Increase the intake of dietary fiber, vitamin E, and lycopene-rich foods such as avocados, tomatoes, etc.
A person with an erectile dysfunction will see improvement after making changes to lifestyle. This will reduce the need formedicationand will benefit the person in their overall health.