Ears, unlike what we think of, could be one of the most vulnerable storehouses of infectious elements. These elements, when breed or tend to grow, can create problems for the ears. Some problems like pain in the ear and ear infection could be cured by using medicines and ear drops, while the ones that grow severe need serious medical interventions. Some common ear problems that can be cured with ear drops are-middle ear infections, swimmer’s ear, earwax buildup, and ear pain.
Ear drops such as analgesics, decongestants, etc. when used with Otic anesthetics can help to relieve out the pain in the ears.
What Are The Medicines Used For Treating Ear Infection?
Doctors prescribe medicines that contain Antipyrine and Benzocaine otic to get relief from the ear pain and swelling that occur due to middle ear infections. These medicines are used along with antibiotics to treat ear infections.
Antipyrine and Benzocaine are analgesics. Analgesics are medicines that reduce pain, relieve out a fever and sometimes decrease inflammation.
The ear drops that relieve out the ear pain contain these analgesics. Although it can relieve the earache by treating the infections, it should be used only three times a day. Each dose should be in a gap of every 1 to 2 hours.
Some of the common ear drops that are prescribed by ENT doctors after the diagnosis of ear infections are-
- A/B Otic
- Otic Edge
In addition to the above-mentioned ear drops, there are other ear drops that doctors prescribe after diagnosing a patient with an ear infection. Some of them are-
- Antibiotics to treat bacterial infections inside the ear.
- Acid-based detergents to break up excess earwax.
- Anesthetics can help in curing excessive ear pain.
How To Use Ear Drops Solution?
Preparation before Using Ear drops Solutions to cure ear ache
This is the part of using the medicines which are commonly ignored. But preparing properly before using these ear drops can ensure that the medicines work more effectively.
Start by reading about the product instructions carefully including the side effects that can occur. While reading the regulations, also check the expiration date. Do not put expired ear drops.
Wash your hands properly with soap and water before administering the eardrops.
Procedure of using Ear drops Solution in Adults
Here is an instruction manual of administering the ear drops in children.
- To avoid spilling the ear drops on the floor or bed, place a clean towel folded in half.
- Lay your head on the towel such that the affected ear faces upwards. You can ask someone to keep the head steady.
- Now comes the most important part. Putting the ear drops inside the ear. Ask someone to gently pull the earlobe up and down to straighten the auditory tube. Put the prescribed number of eardrops.
- Immediately close the ear by gently pushing on the flap of the ear or put a cotton ball. This prevents the drops from spilling.
- Make sure that you stay in this position for a couple of minutes.
For putting ear drops in children, you might want additional help. One person can comfort the child while the other person can put the ear drops. You can also explain your child about what exactly is going to happen to ease out their fear.
What Are The Side Effects of Ear Drops Solution?
There are no major side effects that the ear drops solutions can incur. However, people have reported the following minor side effects after using these ear drops-
- A feeling of stinging or burning in the ear canal
- Pain, redness, swelling in or around the ears
- Itching or swelling of the ear, face, tongue or throat
- Feeling of dizziness
- Difficulty in breathing
What Are The Precautions of Ear Drops Solution?
There are some precautions that should be taken before using medicines that contain antipyrine and benzocaine. Some precautions one should look out for are-
- Being allergic to antipyrine or benzocaine or any other medications.
- Letting the doctor know if you are taking any other prescribed or non prescribed medicines, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products.
- Informing the doctor if you have a history of hole in the eardrum. In such cases, the doctor may recommend not to use these medicines.
- Pregnant or lactating women should especially consult with the doctor before taking this medicine.
Pristyn Care Recommends
The ear is a very delicate organ. Hence, any problem inside the ear needs to be treated cautiously. These ear drops may not prove to be effective. Moreover, it can cause a severe reaction or even an allergic reaction such as anaphylaxis.
In addition to this, proper diagnosis and consultation by a good competent doctor are also recommended. If you are looking for a competent ENT doctor who can cure ear infections, visit Pristyn Care clinics.