Are you unhappy with the shape of your nose? Do you consider your nose to be the most eccentric feature of your face? Or are you just seeking for a slight change in its appearance to enhance your beauty?
Well! The appearance of your nose can be altered through rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty also is known as ‘nose job’ is a very popular procedure undertaken by numerous people all over the world.
Need For Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty aims to provide a new look to the patients who are unhappy with their appearance or functionality of their nose. It has evolved over the years and has much more versatile applications.
- It helps improve the nasal function altered due to injury or illness.
- It also helps patients with breathing problems that disturb their sleep and ability to exercise.
- Enhances the appearance of the nose and overall face
Facts About Rhinoplasty
Before undergoing rhinoplasty, one should consider knowing every detail about it. The details regarding the appearance and functionality of your nose before and after Rhinoplasty.
Preparing For A Rhinoplasty
- Meet your surgeon before undergoing rhinoplasty and get all the details. Explain to your surgeon about your history related to nasal obstruction if any, or surgeries and about medications that you take.
- The doctor will then conduct a physical examination of your facial features and determine the inside and outside structure of your nose.
- The surgeon will then explain to you the changes that will be made with your nose. The surgeon may explain the skin thickness of your nose and strength of the cartilage present at the end of your nose.
- After examining the nose, photographs will be taken from different angles. Your surgeon with the help of computer software will manipulate your photographs to show various kinds of results that are possible with your nose after undergoing rhinoplasty.
Note-Rhinoplasty cannot be done in case a person is suffering from a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia.
After understanding about the surgery, you can undergo rhinoplasty under the influence of general anesthesia. Make sure you have someone to take care of you, during and after the surgery so that you can easily recover.
Procedure of Rhinoplasty Surgery
Rhinoplasty surgery is a day-care procedure performed under the influence of anesthesia.
Once the patient is numb or unconscious, the surgeon makes cuts between or inside the nostrils. After this, they separate the skin from the cartilage or bone and then reshaping starts. Either an extra bone or cartilage is removed or extra bone extracted deep from the ear is placed to shape the new nose.
Once the nose is given a shape, the doctor places nasal packs or splints inside the nostrils to stabilize the septum to help the nose retain its new shape. The whole procedure is usually completed within one to two hours. However, complex surgeries can take a longer time.
Recovery After the Surgery
After the surgery, the doctor monitors the patient for a few hours to check for complications. Once the doctor checks that everything is fine, then the patient is discharged the next day.
During the discharge, the doctor advises some precautions to take which are explained henceforth.
After rhinoplasty, the patient is advised to take rest as much as possible. The patient should sleep with his head raised above the chest while lying. This can help reduce the pressure on the nose and prevent bleeding and swelling.
During the followup consultation, the doctor removes the splints. It is normal to have memory lapses, impaired judgment and slow reflexes during the recovery.
Also Read: Deviated Nasal Septum Treatment by Yoga
Do’s and Don’ts after undergoing Rhinoplasty surgery
- The doctor advises you to avoid performing strenuous activities.
- Take baths instead of showers to avoid contact with water.
- Eat foods that can prevent constipation as it may produce strain on the nose.
The results of rhinoplasty surgery are found to be long-lasting. Swelling due to surgery may subside within a few weeks, and you may notice your fully refined new nasal contour in a year.
The appearance of your nose changes throughout your life even if you don’t consider having surgery. In such cases, it becomes difficult to predict the final results of surgery. However, within a year after undergoing rhinoplasty, you could make out the difference in the appearance of your nose before and after rhinoplasty.
If you are not satisfied with how your nose looks and thinking of undergoing a septoplasty, then you contact Pristyn Care medical coordinators or book an appointment today!
Also Read: Nose Before And After Septoplasty