Pilonidal Sinus can be very painful and uncomfortable for the patient. It can hinder the normal schedule and daily activities of the patient. The cyst can be removed surgically but it mostly comes back and would require surgery again to get rid of it. No patient wants to go through surgery, especially multiple. The patients are suggested to choose the treatment with the maximum success rate so that there are minimal chances of recurrence.
Laser Surgery for Pilonidal Sinus has been the most successful and convenient treatment option for pilonidal sinus or cyst. This is a minimally invasive treatment option and is not painful at all. It is a permanent cure for laser. It has been proven and confirmed that the laser treatment for pilonidal sinus, the disease can never bother the patient ever again in his entire lifetime.
The patient can start walking on his own the same day after the procedure. The patient is suggested to take bed rest for 2 days after the surgery. Although, the complete recovery would take about 4 to 6 weeks.
Tips for Quick Recovery after Pilonidal Sinus Surgery
- The patient can drive when he or she is comfortable using the brake and gas pedal and is off all sorts of pain medication. Do not drive under the influence of narcotics or pain medication as they are sedative in nature.
- The patient should avoid sexual intercourse until complete recovery. Patients mostly need 4 to 6 weeks to recover completely.
- Patients are advised to avoid any vigorous exercise for about two weeks after the surgery. Working out or heavy lifting can stretch the anorectal area and cause troubles in the recovery period.
- The patients are advised to avoid oily foods and spicy foods, alcohol, smoking and are advised to drink a lot of water. Such food items can cause perianal discomfort while passing stool. A high fiber diet is advised for normal bowel movements.
- Avoid swimming or soaking- baths for about three weeks after the surgery.
Also Read: Is Pilonidal Sinus or Cyst Dangerous?
How does the Laser Surgery for Pilonidal Sinus work?
Laser Surgery is a quick and pain-free solution to the pilonidal sinus. Pilonidal Sinus is located at the end of the backbone, just above the tailbone. In this disease, a small hole or tunnel in the skin gets infected or filled with pus or fluid which leads to the formation of cyst or abscess. The affected area becomes embedded with body hair and debris and leads to infection. The laser surgery cleans the infected area and removes the pit in order to make sure that infection never occurs in that area.
In the other procedure for Laser treatment of Pilonidal Sinus, moderate pulses of laser energy are applied to the affected area to close the cyst. The laser energy is used to destroy the lining of the tract of infection and then collapse or close the opening permanently. The treatment is carried out on all the affected areas if there is more than one present. The laser surgery is performed in a quick procedure of fewer than 30 minutes.
Can Pilonidal Cyst come back?
No person wants to undergo multiple surgeries that too for recurrence of the same disease. It gets very frustrating. Also, there is a long recovery time of at least a week in case of open surgery for pilonidal sinus. Patients getting open surgery for pilonidal sinus expect for a solution for the disease.
But as per a recent survey, 22% of the cases for open surgery, pilonidal sinus affected the same patients and generally in the same place. And in case of primary closure surgery for pilonidal sinus, recurrence was observed in 30% of the patients treated with the surgery. Patients treated with excisions for pilonidal sinus face 17% of the recurrence rate.
It is hence believed that open surgery or other alternate surgeries only provide a temporary cure and fail to give a permanent or even a long term cure. Get in touch with Pristyn Care for pain-less and permanent cure for Pilonidal Cyst.