Perfect nose is a myth. Evidently, all humans on this planet suffer from some level of deviation in the nose. However, in some cases, the deviation is so great that it makes it difficult for them to breathe as well as makes them prone to several ailments.
Rhinoplasty is the answer to such problems. Simple nose surgery can help such individuals get comfortable with their nose shape and size as well as reduce the risk of related nose problems.
This article covers the purpose, procedure, benefits, preparation, risks to expect, and recovery tips of undergoing rhinoplasty in detail.
What is Rhinoplasty?
Also referred to as ‘nose surgery’, rhinoplasty is the procedure to reshape the nose by removing or adding cartilage to the nose. This is one of the most common procedures that people opt for. In the entertainment industry, a lot of individuals choose to undergo this surgery to improve their overall facial appearance.
ENT doctors prescribe this surgery for medical reasons such as improving breathing or correcting the nose shape due to any injury. In addition to this, rhinoplasty can also be recommended for cosmetic purposes such as enhancing the nose contour.
Purpose of Rhinoplasty Surgery
Primarily, doctors recommend undergoing rhinoplasty surgery when there is a need to clear blocked nasal passages so that the patient is able to breathe more freely. However, it should be kept in mind that an ENT surgeon suggests so only after thorough evaluation and proper physical examination. In addition to this, rhinoplasty can accomplish the following-
- Resizing the nose size according to the structure of the face
- Maintaining symmetry of the nose
- Correcting the nasal tip that has become enlarged, bulbous, droopy, or crooked
- Changing the width of the nose at the nose bridge that changes the size and position of the nostrils
- Rectifying the nose profile by removing visible humps or depressions on the nose bridge
In case, someone is undergoing rhinoplasty to enhance the appearance of the nose, it is recommended to wait until the nose bone has fully developed.
Also Read: Types of Nasal Surgeries
Procedure of Rhinoplasty Surgery
The Step-by-Step procedure of Rhinoplasty Procedure is as follows-
Step 1- Administering anesthesia
There can be some risks due to anesthesia. Therefore, it should be given by an expert anesthetist. The anesthetist administers general or local anesthesia through intravenous channels or injections.
Step 2- Making incisions
Once the patient is unconscious, the doctor makes several incisions. Generally, rhinoplasty is a closed procedure which means the doctors make the incisions that cannot be seen easily. After making cuts, the mucosal lining that covers nasal bones and cartilage is lifted so that the doctor is able to access the bone.
Step 3- Reshaping the nose structure
To reduce the size and shape of the nose structure, the doctor removes extra bone or cartilage. In other cases, the doctor may place additional grafts to add volume to the nose. For this purpose, the doctor can take cartilage from the nasal septum or the ear.
Step 4- Correcting the septum
The doctor corrects and straightens the septum so that the patient is able to breathe freely.
Step 5- Stitching the cuts
Once the doctor straightens the septum or gives it the desired shape, he or she stitches the septum after replacing the skin over it. Also, they place a nasal packing inside the nose to prevent nose bleeds.
Benefits of Rhinoplasty Surgery
Here is a list of benefits of Rhinoplasty that a patient should consider-
- Increasing or decreasing the nose size
- Reducing the nasal tip
- Reducing the size of the bridge
- Giving shape to the nostrils
- Creating a balance between the facial structures
- Enhancing the overall aesthetics of the face
- Making it easier to breathe freely
- Correcting a deviated septum
Preparing for Rhinoplasty Surgery
Here are some questions that you should ask beforehand to ensure that you are absolutely prepared.
- Once the surgery is complete, what should I expect?
- After the surgery, which medication do you prescribe to reduce pain?
- How many times should I change the dressings or bandages?
- For how long should I keep the nasal packing?
- When should I resume normal activities?
- When should I visit for my follow-up?
Risks of Rhinoplasty Surgery
In case of any nasal surgery, there are some risks and side effects that can occur. The patient should look out for the following possible complications-
- Nose bleeding
- Reaction to anesthesia
- Inability to heal wounds or scars
- Unable to breathe properly
- Discoloration of skin and swelling
- Hole in the septum
- Not desired results
- Nose becomes dry frequently, also known as Empty Nose Syndrome
- Damage to the eye
- Inability to resolve headaches due to sinus
- Injury to the skull
- Development of brain abscess
- Spinal fluid leaking
- Lack of sensation in the upper jaw
- Excessive pain
- Frequent episodes of sinus congestion or nasal polyps
- Loss of sense of taste and smell
Recovery of Rhinoplasty Surgery
During the discharge process, the doctors provide a list of instructions to follow so that the patient has a fast recovery.
- Avoid blowing the nose at any cost. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to hold back sneezing.
- In the case of nosebleeds, the patient can tilt their head back slightly and breathe gently through the nose. Dab the nose gently with a tissue.
- Doctors use over-the-counter nasal sprays so that there are lesser chances of nasal bleeding. Remember not to use these regularly or else the nose may become blocked.
- After proper instructions with the doctor, try nasal wash with saline solution from the first day of the recovery itself. Wash the nasal passage twice a day to remove any blood clot or debris. Eventually, this helps in breathing.
- Rest for at least 1 week so take leave accordingly from work to recover after the surgery.
- Neither exercise nor perform any physical exertion for at least 2 weeks after the surgery. This includes no bending, lifting, running, swimming, or straining.
Also Read: How To Clean The Nose After Rhinoplasty?
Under normal circumstances, it may take over a year for the results to become evident. The appearance of the nose takes almost 6 months to refine. Every week, there can be some significant changes related to how the nose appears.
Rhinoplasty, or simply nose surgery, enhances the appearance of the nose as well as makes breathing easier. Furthermore, there are numerous health insurance plans that cover the cost of rhinoplasty. In case you are considering a nose job, you can consult with an expert ENT Specialist from Pristyn Care. Talk to them about their goals so that they can shape your nose as you desire. Book an appointment to know more!