People often complain that there is a non-stop ringing a hissing sound in their ears or. This makes it difficult for them in having a conversation both in professional and personal front. This incessant buzzing inside the ears hampers their work-life as they are unable to concentrate as well as ideate properly.
Yoga reduces this sound by working on all possible causes- stress, stiff neck, accumulation of earwax, ear infections, etc. Yoga works effectively by removing toxicants so that there is an overall enhancement of the body. Keep this in mind that yoga can reduce that troubling sound only temporarily while you have to consult with an E.N.T specialist for curing tinnitus. Below are mentioned effective Yoga poses that can help get relief from this troubling condition. Make sure you consult an ENT specialist as well for tinnitus.
Yoga Poses for Tinnitus are:
- Trikonasana or Triangle Pose
- Padangusthasana or Big toe Pose
- Adho Mukha Svanasana or Downward Face Dog Pose
- Ustrasana or Camel Pose
- Gomukhasana or Cow Face Pose
- Bhujangasana or Cobra Pose
- Viparita Karani or Legs Up on The Wall
- Matsyasana or Fish Pose
This pose reduces or completely cures the hissing or whistling in the ears. When your head hangs on one side during this pose, it instantly sends blood to the head and neck region, making your ears pop open. You feel relaxed almost instantaneously. It helps to increase mental and physical equilibrium and decrease anxiety, stress, back pain and sciatica.
- Start by placing your feet apart.
- Raise your arms such that they are parallel.
- Keep your one foot at a 45-degree angle and the other one at a right angle.
- Twist the body towards the right angle and bend towards the floor.
- Try to touch the extended foot with your hand and the other hand towards the air.
- Hold the pose for a few seconds while looking at the arm in the air.
- Repeat it with the other side.
Similar to the previous pose, this is another asana that regulates blood flow to the head. Hence, when you bow down the blood flow clears all the blockages in your nose, ears, and throat. You feel energized instantly as this pose removes all toxins from your head and neck region.
- Stand straight with your feet parallel to each other.
- Raise your hands and bend forward from the hip.
- Aim to touch your forehead to the ground.
- Hold the big toe of your leg and inhale.
- Exhale and bend again towards your toes.
- Remember to breathe constantly and your upper straight.
- Come back to normal position.
This is an anti-gravity pose that sends blood to the head including ears, nose and throat. The blood flow helps to remove the toxins and makes you feel more relaxed. One of the major reasons for tinnitus is stress. This pose works by strengthening the spine and relieving the stress.
- Stand on your four limbs in a table structure
- Exhale and extend your hands, knees and hip in an inverted ‘V’.
- With the support of your hands, straighten your neck.
- Touch your ears with your inner arms and look at your navel.
- Hold this pose for a few seconds and then return to the table position.
Your ear, nose and throat are connected. Therefore, tinnitus can alleviate if you remove blocks from the throat also. If you practice this asana regularly, it can remove blocks from the throat and heart also. Removing blocks will automatically increase blood flow to all parts of the body, including the ears.
To- do this-
- Sit in Vajrasana with your hands on the hips.
- Lift your hips such that it is perpendicular to the ground.
- Open your chest and lean back.
- Stretch your arms and try to reach the feet.
- Hold the pose and breathe gently.
- Then release.
This asana will help you make more flexible. It also cures shoulder stiffness thereby, curing stress. As you have to sit erect to do this asana, your throat is worked upon. As already discussed above, unclogging the throat has a direct effect on the ears.
- Start by sitting up straight.
- Make sure the neck and spine are straight.
- Place your right leg over the left leg.
- Take your right hand over the shoulder.
- Now move your left hand all the way to the back.
- Stay in this posture for a minute.
If your throat or chest intoxicated making it difficult for you to breathe, then it can cause a wheezing sound (tinnitus) inside the ears. This pose removes toxins or excessive energy from these areas thereby, benefitting the ears. You are able to hear better as well as concentrate more.
- First, lie flat on your stomach and palms on the ground.
- Lift your chest gently and put your weight on the elbows.
- Raise your face such as a cobra.
- Hold the pose while you inhale and exhale.
As this pose is a remedial pose, it circulates blood to every part of the body. Hence, it can alleviate any illness including tinnitus from the body. This pose is also known as Legs Up in The Wall pose. This posture is a great stress reliever and gives a good stretch that can calm the mind.
To do this-
- Sit opposite to a wall.
- Raise your legs gently against the wall.
- Keep your arms stretched with palms upwards.
- Close your eyes and breathe.
- Come back to the normal position after a couple of minutes.
When you stretch the upper part of the body, you breathe freely without any restriction. This allows oxygen into the lungs and opens up any block present. It will help you with the soreness of muscles and bones in the head and neck. This posture makes you relaxed, minimizing the chances of tinnitus.
To do this-
- Lie on your back with your legs crossed.
- Bend your upper portion such that your head rests on the crown.
- Lift your chest and feel the curve in the back and neck.
- Hold the pose for a few minutes and then release it.
Disclaimer- All the above poses discussed above should be performed under the guidance of an expert or should be discussed first with a tinnitus specialist.
The never-ending wheezing, hissing or whistling in the ears can interfere with your daily life. This is a very common problem that develops in old age. Fortunately, there are several yoga poses that can help increase blood flow to the ears and alleviate the problem. The minor side effects with yoga poses is that these cannot be performed by old people. Also, these are not a permanent solution for people suffering from this problem. Having a wheezing sound in your ear for a very long time? Visit our E.N.T clinics to get tested.