Can Uterine Fibroids Affect Your Fertility?
Uterine fibroids are noncancerous tumors made of smooth muscle cells that grow in the uterus or get attached to the uterine wall. Fibroids may grow singly or in clusters and can lead to strong abdominal pain, heavy flow during menstruation, pelvic pain, frequent urge to urinate or painful intercourse. Many women with uterine fibroids may not have any of the symptoms and only an ultrasound can depict the presence of fibroid.
Uterine fibroids can be classified into different types depending on their location in the uterus: -
- Subserosal fibroids: When fibroids grow on the outer surface of the uterus.
- Submucosal fibroids:When the fibroids grow inside the uterine cavity, below the endometrium.
- Intramural fibroids:When the fibroids grow inside the uterus wall.
- Pedunculated fibroids:When the growth is on small stalks, on the uterine surface or in the uterine cavity.
The location at which a fibroid grows inside the uterus and the size of the fibroid can immensely affect the fertility of a woman. And if the fibroid develops during pregnancy it can lead to complications. Submucosal fibroids, that develops inside the cavity of uterus cause infertility and pregnancy complications. Largely sized fibroids, often more than 5 cm in diameter can severely affect fertility in women.
How fibroids lead to infertility?
Following are the major reasons as to why fibroids lead to infertility in a woman: -
- The entry of sperm into the uterus could be blocked or reduced in number due to the presence of fibroids near the cervix.
- In case the egg is fertilized but the growth of fibroids near the opening of the fallopian tube inside the uterine cavity can prevent its implantation into the uterus.
- Submucosal fibroids that develop inside the uterine cavity occupies space in the uterus giving less area to the zygote and interfering with the normal growth of the child.
- Fibroid growth in clusters can disrupt the blood supply to the uterus which can lead to miscarriages in pregnancy as it deploys uterus walls to thicken and sustain a pregnancy.
In general, women having uterine fibroids do not face issues with conceiving. If in case you experience infertility or recurrent miscarriage it is sensible to consult a doctor. The doctor will help determine the accurate cause of infertility which may be uterine fibroids.
Pristyn Care Laser Clinic, 50 SP, Sector 45, Block C, Uday Nagar, Sector 45, Gurugram, Haryana 122003
Pristyn Care Laser Clinic, Care4U E 220, Block E, East of Kailash, New Delhi, Delhi 110065
Gurgaon: Golf Course Road, Shan Road, MG Road, Cyber Hub, DLF, Sushant Lok, Palam Colony, Sikanderpur, Sector- 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,9, 10, 12, 14, 17, 46, 47, 48, 38
South Delhi: Hauz Khas, Green Park, Jor Bagh, South Ex., Saket, Malviya Nagar, GK.
East Delhi: Mayur Vihar, Laxmi Nagar, Padpad Ganj, Preet Vihar, Akshardham, Vaishali, Kaushambi, Vasundhra, Indirapuram, Geeta Colony, Shahdra, Shastru Nagar, Ghaziabad, Dilshad Garden
West Delhi: Pitampura, Shalimar bagh, Paschim Vihar, Rajouri garden, Moti Nagar, Kirti Nagar, Ramesh Nagar, Inderlok, Rohini, Punjabi Bagh, Subhash Nagar, Mayapuri, Tilak Nagar, Hari Nagar, Wazirpur, Karol Bagh, patel Nagar, Kamla Nagar, Civil Lines, GTB Nagar, Dwarka, Vasant Kunj, Uttam Nagar, Janakpuri, Najafgarh.
Noida: Sectors 15,18, 16, 21, 22, 26, 30, 31-37, 51-55, 70-73, 100, Arun Vihar, Niti Khand, Kaushambi,Vasundhar Enclave.
Copyright © 2018 pristyncare.com