Uterine fibroids are one of the common problems that women face in their reproductive years. Let’s first know what fibroids are. In simplest terms, the uterine fibroids are the unusual or abnormal growths in the uterus that are not cancerous in nature. These fibroids start to grow in and around the walls of the uterus. a
A woman suffering from uterine fibroids usually experiences the following symptoms:
- Heavy bleeding during periods
- Pain in the pelvis and lower back
- Difficulty in conceiving a baby
- Frequent spotting between periods
- Prolonged bleeding even after 5-6 days
- Intense pain during sexual intercourse
- Frequent urge to pass urine
- Miscarriage (Also read: Do uterine fibroids affect pregnancy?)
You must not leave the symptoms unattended and be proactive to deal with it. Although seeking the help of a gynecologist is necessary to permanently get rid of uterine fibroids. But you will be amazed to know that there are foods that can help you in curing the painful symptoms of uterine fibroids. (Also Read: Some Facts About Uterine Fibroids! )
Foods good for uterine fibroids
Legumes help in reducing the size of the fibroids in the uterus. They are enriched with fibers that actively flush out the excess toxins out of the body. Leguminous foods also restore the normal levels of estrogen in the body, hence bring relief in uterine fibroids.
Beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas, are the best leguminous foods that help in curing uterine fibroids. So, you must include these in your diet to bring improvements to your health.
Eggs are enriched with proteins and omega 3. Eating 1-2 eggs every day can restore the normal health of the uterus. Eggs are supposed to have healing effects in the case of uterine fibroids.
- Fibrous fruits-
Fruits that are rich in fibers and fluids are highly recommended in uterine fibroids. The fibers present in them assist in removing the toxins as well as the excess estrogen from the body.
Fruits good for uterine fibroids are apple, banana, orange, guava, and mango are very beneficial in shrinking the size of fibroids in the uterus. Berries being a rich source of antioxidants also help in getting relief from the fibroids. You should have raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, but in fresh form and not the ones with added preservatives.
Apricot, cantaloupe, and pineapple are enriched in anti-inflammatory properties which also help in treating uterine fibroids.
Vegetables for uterine fibroids
Cabbage, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, radish, turnip, carrot, kale, and pumpkin help in restoring the healthy uterus. These vegetables also minimize the level of toxins and enable the body to keep the estrogen level balanced.
Onion and garlic impart healing effects on uterine fibroids. These are filled with antioxidants and promote the healthy conditions of pelvic organs.
- Fish is a healthy food option for uterine fibroids– Fishes are enriched with vitamin A and omega 3 beneficial in curing uterine fibroids. You can have tuna, mackerel, and salmon in your regular diet to prevent the formation of new uterine fibroids.
- Whole-grain foods- Whole grains help in releasing the excess estrogen out of the body. Thus, whole grains are really effective in shrinking uterine fibroids. Oats, brown rice, barley, quinoa have wonderful effects in keeping the uterus healthy. The whole-grains again are fibrous in nature and hence flush away excess toxins.
- Nuts- Eating nuts regularly is very effective in getting fast relief from uterine fibroids. Thus, you must have almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pistachios as they are enriched in vitamin E. Vitamin E is essential for ensuring good reproductive health. Vitamin E is very effective in relieving bloating, abdominal cramps, and menstrual pain due to uterine fibroids.
- Last but most important, drink lots of water and fresh juices to keep the body hydrated and hence the uterus healthy. Especially, unsweetened cranberry juice and pomegranate juice are very effective in dealing with the troubles of uterine fibroids.
- Green tea is also known to have anti-inflammatory effects and therefore proves to be beneficial in curing the fibroids. It also helps in keeping obesity at bay, thus keeping the estrogen level under control.
- Cod liver oil is rich in vitamin D and proactively deal with reducing the fibroids in the uterus. Oysters, caviar, and herring are the best natural sources of cod liver oil.
Also Read: Most common reasons for uterus removal
Quick Tips to Remember:
Now that you know what are the best foods for uterine fibroids, you should also know about the foods that can be harmful as well.
- Having too much red meat, butter, and cheese can make the painful symptoms of uterine fibroids severe.
- Try to remove as much fat as possible before consuming chicken.
- Avoid consuming foods that have artificial sweeteners.
- Refrain from eating too much processed or junk food.
- You should avoid consuming too much alcohol and caffeinated beverages to keep away their dehydrating effects.
- Also, never go for self-medication to avoid any side-effects. Consult a gynecologist before consuming any supplements or medicines.
- Cut off excess gluten from your diet.
If you stay unaware of these unhealthy food habits, it may hinder the positive impact of the foods that help in curing uterine fibroids. Therefore, keep these tips in mind and follow the best diet to cure the problem of fibroids in the uterus.
Following a healthy diet will surely bring significant relief in your condition of uterine fibroids. But, you should never take it casually and must visit a doctor whenever you face the symptoms of uterine fibroids. The gynecologist will suggest the best effective treatment to get rid of it.