Overview of Hair Transplantation
Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure that aims at removing hair from one part of the head to a bald part. Generally, hair is removed from the back or side of the head where hair usually grows and is implanted in the bald area.
Hair transplantation is performed under anesthesia, which means patients neither feel any pain nor any discomfort. Hair loss is one of the common problems affecting several million people around the world.
Facts on Hair Transplantation
- Around the globe, 60 percent of men and 50 percent of women suffer from hair loss.
- Studies confirm that around 85-95% of implanted grafts grow in the transplanted area.
- Alopecia can affect people of all ages, genders, and ethnic groups.
Need for Hair Transplantation
The following people should ideally consider undergoing hair transplantation and benefit from the procedure.
- Males suffering from male pattern baldness
- Women suffering from thinning hair
- People who are shedding hair due to a burn or injury to the scalp
Types of Hair Transplantation
The following are the types of hair transplantation that people generally undergo-
- Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
- Direct Hair Implantation (DHI)
Choosing a Hair Transplantation Clinic
To ensure that the hair transplantation surgery results are close to the patient’s needs, one must find the right clinic. Choosing the right clinic is the first step towards ensuring the consequences of the procedure are successful and permanent.
- Check the website thoroughly for the services and corresponding offers they provide.
- Go through the doctor’s profiles meticulously to check their experience, specialization and qualifications.
- Look for genuine patient testimonials who got treated by the doctor and from the clinic.
- Inquire about the equipment installed in their world-class clinics.
- Talk to the clinic staff including nurses to see their behavior.
- Consider the number of services provided under that cost.
- Look for the before and after photos for the procedure.
Questions To Ask Before Hair Transplantation Surgery
Prior to the procedure, it is essential that patients ask a couple of questions in order to get an idea of what to expect from the procedure. Here are some questions that patients should ask the surgeon during the consultation-
- Do you have all the necessary medical licensing and certifications required to perform the procedure?
- For how many years you have been successfully performing the procedure?
- Can you show me the before and after photos of other patients?
- What are the realistic results should I expect from the procedure?
- Is the surgical equipment used to perform the procedure up-to-date and latest?
- What is the approximate cost of the entire procedure?
- How can I finance the procedure? What are the various payment options accepted at your clinic?
- Do you provide any additional services within the quoted amount of the procedure?
- Do you provide special post-operative instructions to follow after the procedure that guarantees the best results?
- Should I come up for a follow-up consultation after the procedure?
- Have you been recognized by any reputed organization for your contribution?
- Are there any hospital privileges provided during this procedure? If yes, then at which hospitals?
- Is the clinic accredited by a national or state-recognized accrediting agency?
- What happens if I am not satisfied with the results of the liposuction procedure?
Preparation of Hair Transplantation
Preparation is an integral part of the entire treatment of hair fall. Therefore, surgeons recommend patients follow every preparatory step before the procedure to ensure successful results.
- Stop smoking as well as quit drinking alcohol for at least one or two weeks before the procedure as it restricts blood circulation and slows down the recovery.
- Arrange for someone to take you home after the procedure as the anesthesia effects may not subside completely.
- Adjust or stop taking medications as prescribed by the doctor.
- Complete all the diagnostic tests and get yourself medically evaluated.
- Quit taking any medications such as aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, or any herbal supplements as per the doctor’s instructions.
Risks of Hair Transplantation
Hair transplantation is one of the major surgical procedures. Therefore, it is common to experience some minor complications and side effects post-procedure. Some of the common risks that people have reported include-
- Swelling of scalp
- Itching of scalp
- Formation of crust on the scalp where hair follicles are removed or implanted
- Numbness of the treated and implanted area
- Folliculitis or inflammation of the hair follicles
- Sudden loss of transplanted hair, also known as shock loss
- Tufts of hair growing unnaturally
- Curling of hair follicles
- Looseness of the scalp
Recovery After Hair Transplantation
Once the procedure is complete, surgeons prescribe taking the following recovery tips. There are a couple of factors such as the type of hair transplantation used, physique of the patient, etc. depending upon which the duration of the recovery period varies.
With the Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) technique, the patient is able to recover within a period of 2-3 weeks while with the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) technique, patients are able to recover within 5 days.
In order to experience the full benefits of hair transplantation, it is important to be absolutely careful during the entire recovery period. Here are a couple of tips to take care of while recovering after the procedure.
- Don’t lift any heavyweights or excessively load any heavy objects.
- Restrict drinking any alcoholic beverages absolutely after the procedure.
- Protect the scalp from salt, dirt and chlorine, avoid going to swimming.
- Don’t put your head directly under the shower while taking a bath.
- Protect the scalp from direct sunlight while stepping outside. Wear a hat or cap while stepping outside.
- While applying the conditioner, massage the scalp gently in a circular motion.
- Apply conditioner in the area filled with small red dots to get relief from itchiness.
- While showering, use a mug or cup to pour water over the head.