How long does it take to recover from tympanoplasty?
Complete recovery after a tympanoplasty takes 2-3 months. The stitches are removed about a week after the surgery, and you can return to your usual activities within 2 weeks of the surgery. However, you may experience slight tinnitus and muffled hearing for a while.
After the surgery, you should avoid the following to improve recovery:
- Sneezing very hard
- Swimming or diving
- Lifting weights or strenuous physical activities
- Being hit in the head
- Playing a musical instrument like (trumpet, clarinet, trombone, saxophone, etc.) that requires blowing
- Air travel
- Sudden/jerking head motions
- Blowing nose too hard
You should avoid any strain or pressure in the region to ensure there are no problems during your recovery period.
How to improve recovery after tympanoplasty?
At home, you can follow the given tips to improve your recovery after a tympanoplasty:
- There may be a little bleeding and drainage from the ear after the surgery. It is normal but if there is too much bleeding or pus drainage, contact your ENT doctor immediately.
- You can remove the dressing 24 hours after the surgery. However, if you want, you can put a clean dressing on the surgical area while sleeping.
- Apply an antibiotic ointment on the incision to prevent infections. Visit your ENT surgeon about a week after the surgery for suture removal and to make sure there are no complications.
- Keep your ear dry. Do not shower or wash your hair for about 3-6 days after the surgery. If you have to wash your hair, use earplugs or cotton balls dipped in vaseline to prevent the incision from getting wet.
- Take your medicines as prescribed.
Why consult at Pristyn Care for tympanoplasty in Bhubaneswar?
Pristyn Care is associated with the best ENT hospitals in Bhubaneswar. Additionally, it has a dedicated team of expert and experienced ENT specialists with 10+ years of experience working hard to provide successful treatment to all patients. Some other benefits that we provide to our patients are-
- We offer immediate appointments to our patients at their earliest convenience. As soon as you connect with us, our care coordinators will reach out to you and book an appointment for you with the best ENT specialists near you.
- From consultation to recovery, you will be in contact with a dedicated care coordinator who will help you arrange your appointment, documentation, hospital admission, etc., to ensure a seamless treatment journey.
- We provide qualitative and affordable treatment to our patients. Our insurance team will also help you understand your insurance policy and file an insurance claim at the earliest.
- We provide all patients complimentary cab and meal services on the day of the surgery.
- To ensure there are no postoperative complications, we provide our patients free follow-up in the week following the surgery.