Sinusitis is one of the common condition for people who live in polluted areas. Among the common symptoms, acute & lasting pain in the nasal passages is prominent. Its actually hard to avoid the sinus inflammation and pain, but there are measures which can help reduce the symptoms.
Even though no single food or combination of foods and liquids are a cure for sinus, foods have a dramatic effect on sinus symptoms. You can follow the below guidelines to lower the inflammation. Before getting right into it, let us clear out how foods help in the condition.
Can food help in sinusitis?
Unhealthy foods or junk foods should be avoided. In the case of sinus inflammation, don’t do anything to make it worse.
You need to start keeping away from fried foods, white sugar, white flour, and fatty meats.
Moreover, gluten, refined carbohydrates, and MSG as well as cut-out things such as wheat, instant mashed potatoes, processed soups, and pastries. A lot of physicians believe that milk, milk products and caffeine should also be avoided by patients of sinusitis.
Here is the list of foods that strictly need to be avoided by sinus patients:
- Processed Sugar is packed into favourite desserts such as pastries, chocolate bars, sodas and fruit juices labelled as fructose or sucrose
- Foods with a high content of saturated fat such as pizza, cheese, meat products, pasta dishes, full-fat dairy products, grain-based desserts can trigger adipose, or fat tissue, inflammation
- Monosodium Glutamate, it is present in canned/processed soup mixes, salad dressing, Asian foods, soy sauce and deli meats
- Omega-6 Fatty acids in excess quantities, but not omega-3 fatty acids, are found in oils such as corn, safflower, sunflower, grapeseed, soy, peanut, and vegetable
- Gluten and Casein which is found in foods such as wheat, rye, barley, and dairy products
- Refined Carbohydrates, such as instant mashed potatoes, & processed white flour products, as well as cereals, can be the culprits behind your inflammation
How do allergies affect us?
Many people get allergies but imagine your life if you had to live with an allergy. Can you manage a day with a stuffy or runny nose, headache, or sinus pressure?
In most cases, allergies can be prevented, but it does attack our immune system and make us sick. There are several natural methods available that can boost your immune system, help reduce pain and symptoms, make you feel more energized, and can even improve your skin and hair health. Also, eating the right foods that can fight inflammation as it is the root cause of chronic sinus problems can reduce the pain.
But the fact to remember is, nutritious diet can decrease inflammation in your system, boost your immunity to bacteria, unclog nasal passages and ease your breathing.
Also Read: Instructions to Manage foreign body in Nose
So, what foods can reduce inflammation and help with symptoms of sinusitis?
- Fish: wild salmon, cod, and sardines as they are high in omega 3 fatty acids
- Tart cherries: They can reduce inflammation ten times better than aspirin, also, reduce your risk of heart disease
- Turmeric spice: Often used in Thai and Indian food, contains curcumin which reduces inflammation
- Avocados are also high in omega 3 fatty acids
- Mung beans, pinto, and kidney beans are also high in omega 3 fatty acids
- Red bell peppers are rich in Vitamin C
- Vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus, leafy greens, and bean sprouts have high levels of vitamin C and calcium
- Citrus fruits as oranges, grapefruit, and berries
- Other fruits as tomatoes, apples and pears are rich in Quercetin, a natural antihistamine
- Drinking green tea and more fluids can help to alleviate any headaches that can result from dehydration
- Spices such as ginger, basil, and cayenne pepper
The common relation in all of them is that each contains antioxidants and or omega 3s. By adding the aforementioned foods into your daily diet, you will drastically improve your sinuses and reduce inflammation all over your body.
Also Read: How to cure chronic sinus permanently!