Facts on Irregular Periods
- Research study shows that the chances of irregular periods are higher among teen girls, belonging to the age group of 14-18, who are exposed to air pollution regularly.
- When irregular periods are left untreated, it leads to other health issues like infertility, PCOS, etc.
Managing the symptoms of irregular periods
The treatment of irregular periods depends on the underlying cause or condition. Fortunately, there are some holistic remedies that women can follow to get the menstrual cycle back on track. Some of them are discussed below-
- Practicing Yoga: If you are suffering from irregular periods, practicing yoga on a regular basis can help. Yoga not only reduces menstrual pain but it also helps to cope up with symptoms such as depression and anxiety. This is considered beneficial as yoga regulates hormones as well as menstruation cycles.
- Maintaining a Healthy Weight: Overweight or obese women are more prone to suffering from irregular periods, especially heavier bleeding and pain. The fat cells negatively impact the hormones responsible for ovulation, hence balancing a healthy weight becomes vital for women suffering from irregular periods. Women can exercise regularly to maintain a healthy weight.
- Increasing the amount of ginger intake: Although there is no scientific evidence that explains how ginger works for irregular periods, many women have experienced instant relief from menstrual pain after consuming ginger juice.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Irregular Periods
Herbal remedies for abnormal uterine bleeding
- For Vata vitiation- Shatavari, Ashwagandha, Dashmoolarishta, Castor oil and consuming ghee regularly.
- For Pitta vitiation- Sariva, Manjishta, Aloe Vera eases the blood flow.
- For Kapha vitiation- Ginger, Cinnamon, Cardamom and Pepper removes the blockages and heaviness.
Some other herbs that help to cure irregular menstruation-
Homeopathic Treatment for Irregular Periods
To get relief from irregular periods, doctors often prescribe the following medicines-
- For delayed periods, doctors recommend Pulsatilla.
- For maintaining hormonal balance, Sepia is recommended.
- For delayed periods, doctors prescribe Natrum Mur.
- To get relief from short, delayed periods, take Conium.
- To cure late and profuse menses, Silicea can help.
- When periods get delayed by several months, take Kali Carb.
Allopathic Treatment for Irregular Periods
According to Allopathy, doctors recommend the following medicines-
- Metformin- An insulin-lowering drug that is taken orally by type 2 diabetes patients to ensure normal ovulation and regular periods.
- Low-dose birth control pill- Birth control pills work by decreasing androgen production with a combination of estrogen and progesterone.