The muscles of the vagina are elastic in nature. The muscles although tend to retain the original shape and size of the vagina. But, of course, over a period of time, certain factors lead to changes in the vagina such as dryness, looseness, scars, etc. But it has been assured by the doctors that the vagina never completely loses its elasticity.
Here are the major factors that cause changes in the vagina over time:
- Childbirth– Childbirth through vaginal delivery is a major factor that brings changes in the vagina. Although vaginal muscles are quite strong and elastic, the strenuous procedure of childbirth leads to changes in the birth canal including the vagina.
Let’s look into the major vaginal changes after childbirth:
- Excess vaginal discharges
Heavy vaginal discharges after childbirth that comprise of blood, tissues and mucous type substance are common. Such discharges are so heavy at times that it requires a diaper to prevent leakage.
- Scar tissues in the vagina- A tear or a surgical incision on the vagina during delivery leads to scar tissue. Deep tears or cuts take more time to heal and hence the scar tissue takes longer to disappear.
- Wider vagina- The vaginal muscles usually get back in shape after a pregnancy. But, it does get wider than before. Especially after multiple pregnancies, the vaginal opening becomes much wider than before.
- Change in the color of the vulva– Usually, the vulva turns darker after delivery due to scarring and cuts.
- Dryness of the vagina– Estrogen aids in keeping the vaginal tissues lubricated. The estrogen level drastically drops down in the body after childbirth and it leads to dryness in the vaginal area. Low levels of estrogen can cause the tissues of the vagina to shrink with dryness.2. Aging- The elasticity of the vagina tends to decrease as you start aging. As you grow old, the estrogen levels drop down and make the vagina dry, loose, less flexible and change its pH level.
3. Sexual Intercourse- Sex, in the long run, does contribute to the changes in the vagina. The muscles of the vagina expand to allow penetration. There are no major changes in the vagina caused by sex.
Now that you know about different factors that lead to changes in the vagina, you must take action to prevent it. Exercising regularly is the best natural way to keep the muscles of the vagina and the uterus strong and flexible.
Include pelvic exercises in your fitness routine to strengthen the uterus and hence, the vagina.
Try out the following exercises to boost your vaginal health:
Kegel exercise works effectively on the muscles of the uterus, bowel, and bladder. It stimulates the blood flow to the pelvis and the vagina. Kegel exercise relaxes the vaginal muscles and also enhances orgasm.
Before you start with the exercise, make sure that you have no urge to pee. Sit in a relaxing pose or lie down on an even surface. Now, try to tighten or contract the muscles of the pelvis. Try to hold it for 4-5 seconds. Then, gradually release it to relax the muscles. Do this exercise for 10-15 minutes every day and slowly increase the time week by week.
Tilt exercises for the pelvis
It strengthens the walls of the uterus and vagina. To begin the pelvic tilt exercise, stand in a way that your butt and the shoulder touches the wall. Make sure that you do not hold any tension in the knees. While your back is straight against the wall, try and pull the belly button inwards. Keep the belly tight or contracted for 3-4 seconds. Then, gradually relax the belly. Repeat the activity for 5-10 minutes every day. In just a few days, you will notice changes in your vaginal muscles.
Try vaginal cones
These cones are considered as a weightlifting exercise to strengthen the muscles of the vagina. Vaginal cones come in the size of a tampon. You need to put the cone inside the vagina. Try to hold the cone in place with your vaginal muscles. Do this activity for 15 minutes for effective results. Initially, begin with the lightest vaginal cone and only gradually shift to the heavier ones.
Try these simple yet effective exercises to get rid of the looseness and the dryness of the vagina. In case, you don’t see the desired results and want the best possible solution for loose vagina, you can opt for vaginal tightening. Laser-based vaginal tightening is an advanced modern procedure that is minimally invasive and quite effective. To know more about vaginal tightening treatment, get in touch with us at Pristyn Care and we will answer all your queries.