The muscles of the vagina are elastic in nature. The muscles although tend to retain the original shape and size of the vagina. But, of course, over a period of time, certain factors lead to changes in the vagina such as dryness, looseness, scars, etc. Doctors assure that the vagina never completely loses its elasticity.
Here are the major factors that cause changes in the vagina over time:
- Childbirth– Childbirth through vaginal delivery is a major factor that brings changes in the vagina. Although vaginal muscles are quite strong and elastic, the strenuous procedure of childbirth leads to changes in the birth canal including the vagina.
Let’s look into the major vaginal changes after childbirth:
- Excess vaginal discharges
Heavy vaginal discharges after childbirth that comprise of blood, tissues and mucous type substance are common. Such discharges are so heavy at times that it requires a diaper to prevent leakage from the vagina.
- Scar tissues in the vagina- A tear or a surgical incision on the vagina during delivery leads to scar tissue. Deep tears or cuts on the vagina take more time to heal and hence the scar tissue takes longer to disappear.
- Wider vagina- The vaginal muscles usually get back in shape after a pregnancy. But, it does get wider than before. Especially after multiple pregnancies, the vaginal opening becomes much wider than before.
- Change in the color of the vulva– Usually, the skin of the vulva turns darker after the strenuous procedure of delivery due to scarring and cuts.
- Dryness of the vagina– Estrogen aids in keeping the vaginal tissues lubricated. The estrogen level drastically drops down in the body after childbirth and it leads to dryness in the vaginal area. Low levels of estrogen can cause the tissues of the vagina to shrink as a result of vaginal dryness. 2. Aging- The elasticity of the vagina tends to decrease as you start aging. As you grow old, the estrogen levels drop down and make the vagina dry. In addition to this, aging also makes a vagina loose, less flexible and change its pH level.
3. Sexual Intercourse- Sex, in the long run, does contribute to the changes in the vagina. The muscles of the vagina expand to allow penetration. There are no major changes in the vagina caused by sex.
Now that you know about different factors that lead to changes in the vagina, you must now maintain a proactive approach. So, here are a few exercises that you must bring in your regular routine.
Exercises to keep the vagina healthy and young
Exercising regularly is the best natural way to keep the muscles of the vagina and the uterus strong and flexible. When you exercise regularly, it improves the blood circulation to the vaginal muscles, making them stronger. Also, it strengthens the pelvic floor and solves the problem of pain during sex. Let’s now further look at the effective exercises to maintain the good health of the vagina. Here you go and get an insight into those exercises for vaginal muscles.
Try out the following exercises to boost your vaginal health:
Kegel exercises strenghten the muscles of the pelvic floor. Thus, these work effectively on the muscles of the uterus, bowel, and bladder. Kegel exercises stimulate the blood flow to the pelvis and the vagina. The voluntary contraction and relaxation exercise of the vaginal muscles also improve the lubrication of the vaginal walls. Kegel exercise is also wonderful in terms of enhancing orgasm.
Before you start with kegel exercise, make sure that you have no urge to pee. Sit in a relaxing pose or lie down on an even surface. Now, try to tighten or contract the muscles of the pelvis. Try to hold it for 4-5 seconds. Then, gradually release it to relax the pelvic muscles. Do this exercise for 10-15 minutes every day and slowly increase the time week by week. Within a few of practicing kegel exercises, you will feel the improvement in the elasticity of the vagina.
Tilt exercises for the pelvis
It strengthens the walls of the uterus and vagina. To begin the pelvic tilt exercise, stand in a way that your butt and the shoulder touches the wall. Make sure that you do not hold any tension in the knees. While your back is straight against the wall, try and pull the belly button inwards. Keep the belly tight or contracted for 3-4 seconds. Then, gradually relax the belly. Repeat the activity for 5-10 minutes every day.
Pelvic tilt exercise though may seem a bit difficult initially. But once you learn the pelvic tilt exercise, you will love it. In just a few days, you will notice changes in your vaginal muscles.
Try vaginal cones for vaginal exercise
Vaginal cones are considered as a weightlifting exercise to strengthen the muscles of the vagina. Vaginal cones come in the size of a tampon. As the name suggests, you need to put the cone inside the vagina. Try to hold the cone in place with your vaginal muscles. Do this vaginal exercise for 15 minutes and you will see the effective results. Initially, begin with the lightest vaginal cone and only gradually shift to the heavier ones.
Try these simple yet effective exercises to get rid of the looseness and the dryness of the vagina. This is the least you can do to keep your vagina healthy, so get going now.
In case, you don’t see the desired results and want the best possible solution for loose vagina, you can opt for vaginal tightening. Laser-based vaginal tightening is an advanced modern procedure that is minimally invasive and quite effective. To know more about vaginal tightening treatment, get in touch with us at Pristyn Care and we will answer all your queries.