Preparing for Vaginoplasty
Preparation of vaginoplasty is as essential as the recovery. The patient should follow the preparatory steps with the same diligence one follows tips during recovery. Here are some preparatory steps to consider-
- Do not have sex atleast for a month before surgery.
- Complete all diagnostic tests and go for routine check ups prior to the procedure to check the health of the vagina.
- Quit smoking or drinking any alcoholic beverages for atleast 2 weeks.
- Adjust routine medicines that you may take for an underlying condition after consulting with the doctor.
- Get enough sleep before the night of the surgery to ensure you don’t feel groggy on the day of the surgery.
What are the possible side effects that can occur after Vaginoplasty?
Side effects and minor complications are part of the recovery process after a surgery. Therefore, one must not be worrying if they experience some of the side effects. Vaginoplasty is a surgical procedure and it involves making some cuts and incisions so that the vaginal muscles can be tightened. Therefore, the body takes some time to heal as there is loss of blood. Cosmetic gynaecologists ask patients to look out for the possible complications-
- Bleeding from the scars
- Infection around the scars
- Hematoma which is collection of blood around the wound
- Numbness that subsides eventually
- Chronic dryness
- Decreased sensitivity around the vagina but this is temporary
- Mild discomfort during sexual intercourse in the initial days of the recovery
How to recover after Vaginoplasty?
If one follows the post-operative tips that the doctor recommends once the surgery is complete, the chances of any one of the above risks occurring minimizes by manifold. The post-treatment guidelines are given to the candidate to speed up the process of healing. It is important to note here that it is imperative that the patient follows the guidelines during the entire course of the recovery judiciously and not leave it midway. This can negate the entire treatment and result in several complications.
Hence, take note of the following aftercare tips that one must follow after the procedure-
- Do not lift heavy objects as it can put a strain on the site of surgery.
- Do not take a bath in the swimming pool or hot tub during the healing period.
- Resume her normal lifestyle including sexual intercourse activities after six weeks’ time.
- For the initial 24 hours of the recovery, make sure you take complete rest.
- Put some ice packs around the wound to relieve the pain.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes so that the air so that the area around the wounds remains breathable.
- Indulge in sexual activities only after consulting with the doctor so that there is no discomfort or pain.