Do you have swelling in the sac around your testes? Or does your scrotum feel enlarged and heavy? If yes, then you may be suffering from a condition known as hydrocele.
In hydroceles, the sac around the testicles(scrotum) gets filled with fluid. Due to this, the scrotum gets swollen and appears to be enlarged. Hydrocele can affect either one of the scrotums or both of them. Hydroceles are fairly common in male infants, affecting nearly 10 percent of them. Non-congenital hydrocele, on the other hand, affects older boys and adult men as well. Hydrocele can occur due to infections, inflammations, trauma, injuries, and scarring.
You may experience symptoms like pain, redness, itching, and soreness when you have hydrocele. If these symptoms appear, do not be casual about the condition and contact a medical specialist immediately.
There are many treatments available for hydrocele but you should also remember that what you eat also has a major role to play in improving the symptoms of hydrocele. It is an established fact that our diet affects our health. If you are suffering from hydrocele, you should know what foods can help improve the condition and what foods can further worsen the condition.
Foods to avoid when you have a hydrocele
Processed foods contain excess amounts of salt and sugar. Intaking of large amounts of salt and sugar can cause many health problems. These also have low fiber and vitamin content which is necessary for maintaining good health. Processed foods also contain many artificial ingredients which can lead to serious health issues. Therefore, processed foods should be avoided in the condition.
If you are suffering from hydrocele, it is advised to avoid preserved foods as much as possible. This is because these contain a number of chemicals and artificial preservatives which are not good for health. These preservatives can lead to many complications and give rise to many serious health issues. BHA and BHT are the two most commonly used artificial preservatives and these can even lead to cancer.
Junk foods like pizza, burgers, fries, etc. are low on minerals, vitamin and fiber content. These cause a lot of problems and can even worsen the condition of hydroceles. Junk foods are quite heavy and have large oil content which hinders proper bowel movement. These cause constipation which increases strain during bowel movement and strain can aggravate the hydrocele.
Spicy and Heavy foods:
It is advised to reduce the spice intake if you have hydroceles. Similarly, heavy and greasy foods should also be avoided. This is because they have a lot of harmful effects on the body. Such foods can upset the stomach and cause a lot of discomfort as well.
Pickles and Caffeine:
For people suffering from hydroceles, pickles and caffeine drinks should be strictly avoided. Pickles contain excess amounts of salt and oil which can affect the digestive system. Similarly, high caffeine intake also has harmful effects on the digestive system as well as a number of other side effects.
What food should be eaten?
- Strawberries: These have antioxidant properties and also help in the detoxification of the body.
- Juicy Fruits: Fruits like pears, apples, grapes, watermelon, oranges, etc. have high water content and these are very effective in improving the condition of hydroceles.
- Fibre-rich Diet: Foods like wheat, rye, barley, oats, broccoli, etc have high fiber content and improve the digestive process.
- Ginger and Ginger tea: Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties thus helps in reducing the pain caused due to hydroceles. It also boosts up the immunity.
- Black Tea and Yoghurt: These are very effective for hydroceles with inguinal hernia. They soothe the pain and provide relief from pain and swelling.
Some other lifestyle changes that you should adopt to get relief from hydroceles are:
- Drink a lot of fluids and stay hydrated. This can help in reducing the pain.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitted clothes because these can worsen the problem and can increase the pressure and strain.
- Exercise and yoga can be very effective in providing relief. Yoga asanas like Vajrasana, Gomukhasana, Garudasana can be of great help.
- Quit smoking and avoid excessive intake of stimulants like alcohol.
- Refrain from putting pressure on the groin area.
- Avoid large meals in the evening, and night.
- Avoid sleeping immediately after having meals.
The above-mentioned tips are very helpful in improving the condition of hydroceles. You should follow these tips but alongside these, you should also consult your doctor for proper treatment of hydroceles. A variety of medicines are available in Allopathy, Ayurveda, and Homeopathy but the best and permanent solution is Hydrocelectomy. Nowadays, the laser-based technique is used which is minimally invasive and does not inflict any pain. Once you undergo hydrocelectomy, there is no risk of recurrence of the problem.
Laser hydrocelectomy is available at Pristyn Care. The procedure is performed by highly skilled doctors and the success rate is very high. Get in touch with us and get rid of Hydrocele permanently.