Kidney stones form when the excess minerals of the body crystallize in the inner lining of the kidney. The kidney stones are sharp-edged structures that cause much discomfort and pain to the person. Usually, small kidney stones pass out of the body along with urine. It is a matter of trouble when a kidney stone gets stuck in the urinary tract. The person faces immense pain in case of a kidney stone obstructing the urinary tract. (Also Read: 8 Signs that you have Kidney Stones )
Your diet plays a significant role in kidney stones. There are certain foods that you should avoid if you have kidney stones. The most common types of kidney stones are those made of calcium and uric acid. Therefore, you should either avoid or limit the consumption of foods and supplements that are rich in oxalate and uric acid.
Here is a list of foods that you should avoid when you have kidney stones:
- Spinach, almonds, peanuts, tree nuts, hazelnuts, okra, potato fries, soybeans, tofu, swiss chard, star fruit, sweet potatoes, beets, rhubarb, seeds, cereals, beetroot, and bran flakes are rich in oxalate. These foods induce the formation of kidney stones in the body. Even chocolates/cocoa have high amounts of oxalate, hence they must be avoided by people with kidney stones. To balance the amount of oxalate, you must have a diet rich in calcium. Foods enriched in calcium help in managing the level of oxalate in the body without letting it turn into kidney stones. Milk and yogurt are the rich sources of calcium that you should include in your regular diet if your oxalate intake is high.
- Avoid eating berries that are rich in oxalates such as strawberry, raspberry, and blueberry. Although these fruits are healthy, they can increase the formation of kidney stones. So, you must limit the consumption of berries when you are already suffering from kidney stones.
- Refrain from consuming too much animal protein such as beef, egg, pork, mutton, fish, cheese, etc when you have kidney stones. Consuming these in excess increases the risks of forming new kidney stones. You can rather switch to plant-based sources of proteins such as legumes, lentils, beans, etc. Plant-based proteins will prevent your condition of kidney stones from getting worse.
- Avoid having processed foods that are high in salt and added sugars as they can cause dehydration. Dehydation can aggravate the severity of kidney stones The foods rich in added sugars (sucrose/ fructose/cane sugar/ etc) induce the formation of new kidney stones. So, if you are suffering from kidney stones already, you would not want your condition to get worse.
Similarly, when you consume too much junk food that has lots of salt (sodium), it tends to turn the oxalate into the kidney stones. Also, it has a dehydrating effect on health, whereas you should stay hydrated to avoid the problems caused by kidney stones. Thus, you should rather (Also Read: What Food Causes Kidney Stones? )
- Limit having foods rich in Vitamin C as they initiate the formation of oxalate in your body. Therefore, limit eating kiwi, broccoli, tomatoes, red pepper, papaya, kale, etc. You should also keep in mind to either stop or not consume much vitamin C supplements without consulting the doctor.
- You must avoid caffeinated and carbonated drinks in kidney stones. These drinks include tea (especially black tea), coffee, cola drinks, etc. Both the caffeinated and carbonated drinks escalate the risk of kidney stones. Also, cola and caffeinated beverages dehydrate the body. So, keep them at bay and rather drink healthy fluids and juices to get rid of kidney stones faster.
- Calcium supplements are not a good option. Such supplements tend to increase the risk of kidney stones. So, it is wiser to choose natural sources of calcium, but of course not in excess. You can have tofu, cottage cheese, soy milk in a moderate amount. It won’t make kidney stones worse.
Now that you know excess of which foods can cause kidney stones, you should bring out desired dietary and lifestyle changes.
Let’s shortly tell you about things that will help you in getting rid of kidney stones:
- Have coconut water daily. It is enriched in potassium that prevents forming of new kidney stones.
- Having fresh pomegranate juice also acts as a great remedy to improve the overall functioning of the kidneys. It also detoxes the entire urinary tract system.
- Barley water is an age-old remedy for kidney stones. It facilitates the easy passage of kidney stones through urine.
- Lemon juice is the most popular to get rid of kidney stones fast. The chemical citrate present in lemon dissolves the kidney stones and lets them pass through urine.
- Banana stem is an interesting and yet very little talked about remedy that can cure kidney stones. It is loaded with potassium, magnesium, and anti-inflammatory properties that are beneficial for kidney stones.
Now, you can cope up with your problem of kidney stones better by following the above-mentioned tips on foods to avoid or prefer. But, to get permanently rid of kidney stones, you must seek medical help. (Also read: Best treatment for kidney stones)
Reach out to a specialist doctor as soon as possible. Delaying the treatment only leads to more complications in kidney stones. So, first, discuss the condition with a doctor and then go for any major changes in diet and lifestyle.