Once you have made the decision to get rid of stubborn body fat through liposuction, it is important that you keep an open mind and realistic expectations. Some people have mistaken this to be a weight loss procedure and when they don’t achieve the desired results, they blame the doctor and the clinic for not providing a successful surgery. Read this blog if you are planning to undergo liposuction in the near future so that you know what to expect, and which instructions to follow for maintaining the results.
What are the risks and complications of liposuction?
Liposuction is a major surgery. Hence, keep realistic expectations and be prepared to experience some minor side effects during the recovery. If you have followed the doctor’s instructions word-to-word before the surgery and take some precautions during the recovery, these risks and complications are less likely to cause trouble.
Here is a list of the common risks associated with liposuction-
- Damage to other structures such as nerves, blood vessels, muscles, lungs and abdominal organs
- Reaction to anesthesia
- Accumulation of fluid
- Numbness of the treated area
- Change in skin sensation
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Swelling that doesn’t subside
- Poor healing of the wound
- Looseness of skin or worsening of cellulite
- Uneven, wavy or bumpy skin due to poor skin elasticity
- Burn or thermal injury due to the cannula movement
- Pulmonary edema
- Pulmonary embolism
- Kidney or cardio problems
Note here that these side effects occur when a person decides to choose conventional techniques of liposuction. At Pristyn Care, our doctors utilize the VASER technique of liposuction to remove fat cells permanently. This type of liposuction ensures minimum risks.
Day- by-day recovery after liposuction
Here is a day-by-day recovery that can help get an idea of what the entire recovery period after liposuction looks like.
- First 24 hours- Once the liposuction is complete, don’t wear tight-fitting clothes as these can be extremely uncomfortable to wear. Hence, wear loose-fitting cotton clothes with buttons on the front. You may feel groggy and tired due to anesthesia.
- First 48 hours- Wear the compression garment and make sure you don’t over exhaust yourself. While asleep, lie on your back. Walk for a couple of minutes to increase blood circulation.
- First week- After 7 days of liposuction, get on with light exercise such as walking or stretching. Do not take a shower until you meet the doctor again so that they can check the process of healing. Instead, take a sponge bath and wash the hair with assistance from a family member.
- First two weeks- Sleep sideways as you want. The pain or any discomfort should subside by now completely.
- First four weeks- Go back to normal activities and exercise, including lifting heavy weights and bending. By the end of four weeks, you should be able to see some results when you take off the garment or take a bath. Don’t worry if you see any swelling as this also cures on its own within the next couple of weeks. You can take off the compression garment by now. But it’s best if you ask the doctor first.
How to take care of wounds after liposuction?
When the doctor discharges, they also show you how to clean the wound to prevent any infection. Here are a handful of tips to keep in mind while dressing-
- Before you touch the wound, wash your hands properly to get rid of any viruses and bacteria. Once you finish dressing the wounds, wash your hands again.
- In rare cases, there can be some watery drainage. Clean it properly with the gauge provided.
- Keep the wound area as dry as possible to lower the risk of infection while you shower.
- Avoid wearing clothes made of uncomfortable fabric or the one that can irritate the wound area.
- Let the surgical glue or dissolvable sutures dissolve on their own.
How long does it take to fully recover after liposuction?
On the basis of a couple of factors, the actual recovery duration of a patient can vary. Some of the factors depending on which the doctor can indicate an approximate recovery period are- the patient’s physical abilities, tolerance ability for pain, the type of liposuction underwent as well as the amount of fat removed. Generally, the patient is able to fully recover within 3-4 weeks of VASER liposuction.
Are the scars permanent?
No. with proper medicines and lotions, there won’t be any visible scars when you completely heal. When you choose the right doctor for liposuction, they make incisions in places where these are not easily visible. This is because of the great aesthetic sense and years of experience they have. Also, a good doctor provides incisions instructions to tend the wounds after the procedure.
Recovery tips after Liposuction
Here is a checklist of do’s and don’ts that can help in recovering fast after liposuction. Also, there’ll be fewer chances of infections or any fatal complication.
|Eat a diet that is nutritious but light. This is to prevent constipation and eventually, excessive straining during a bowel movement.||For at least 3 weeks of recovery, neither perform any kind of vigorous exercise nor physical activity.|
|Regularly sip on some fluid such as soup, water, broths, etc. to prevent dehydration and eventually constipation.||Without fail, visit the doctor for the follow-up consultation.|
|Rest for at least 8-9 hours so that the body can help the wounds fast.||Avoid taking part in any contact sports.|
|In the first fifteen days of the recovery, sleep with the head elevated at a 45-degree angle by putting some extra pillows under the head.||Control the urge to itch around the wounds. But remember to control it.|
|Make sure that you wear the compression garment 24×7 for 21days to speed up recovery and get the desired results.||Do not rub or massage the wound area and the surrounding region until the doctor confirms that it is okay to do so.|
|In the first 24 hours of the recovery, make sure you are extremely careful while moving or bending. In case of pain or discomfort, apply a cold compress.||Do not take any dietary supplements or protein shakes without proper consultation with the doctor.|
|Remove the compression garment only if the doctor asks you to do so.||Don’t wear tight-fitting clothes as these can be extremely uncomfortable to wear. Hence, wear loose-fitting cotton clothes with buttons on the front.|
Before and After Pictures of Liposuction
Liposuction can bring revolutionary changes to several people. Due to enhanced body appearance, people get a boost of confidence and the urge to live life differently. In order to get the desired results, it is important to speak out freely and know exactly what to expect after the procedure is complete.
You can get in touch with Pristyn Care and consult some of the best plastic surgeons in India regarding liposuction surgery. They will describe what the surgery entails and how you should prepare for it. Furthermore, our doctors are well-versed in advanced laser and VASER liposuction techniques that are two of the best methods to get rid of body fat. To learn more about liposuction surgery, book an appointment with our plastic surgeons today!