Kidney stones are hard lump-like structures that form inside the kidney. The main function of the kidneys is to remove wastes and undesired fluids from the body. When there is an excess amount of waste material present and not enough fluids, these wastes can crystallize and form stone-like structures in the kidney.
The major cause of kidney stones is inadequate hydration. Other factors like family history, obesity, high protein diet, intake of excess salt and sugar, inflammatory bowel disease, etc also contribute to the formation of kidney stones.
Although kidney stones form inside the kidney, over time, they tend to travel to other parts of the urinary tract. At this stage, the symptoms and discomforts of kidney stones start surfacing. Kidney stones cause severe pain in the lower back region. You may experience other symptoms of kidney stones like red-colored urine, frequent urge to urinate, and a burning sensation while urinating.
In many cases, excruciating pain in the lower back is misconceived to be a gastric issue. If you experience the aforementioned symptoms, contact a specialist doctor.
If you are diagnosed with kidney stones, do not let the worries consume you. You can treat kidney stones effectively and a number of treatments are available. You will be glad to know that you can get rid of small to medium-sized stones by some simple yoga as well. In the case of larger kidney stones, Yoga can be very effective in relieving the pain and other symptoms, but for permanent relief, you might have to seek medical help.
Yoga for kidney stones helps in effectively dealing with the problem
Yoga has been helping people live a healthy life for centuries now. It can prevent many diseases and can also act as a remedy for many problems. When it comes to kidney stones, Yoga can provide relief from these as well.
Yoga helps in stretching of the body. It boosts the vital organs so that they can function properly. In most of the cases, Yoga proves wonderfully effective in relieving the pain, cramps, nausea, and restlessness that kidney stones cause.
Here are the Yoga Asanas (Poses) that are helpful in the condition of kidney stones.
Ushtra Asana (Camel pose)
Ushtra Asana is one of the most effective Yoga poses for kidney stones. This yoga pose helps to improve the functioning of the organs in the abdomen region. It also helps in blood circulation to the kidneys and helps in their detoxification. Ushtra Asana helps prevent kidney stones. If you already have kidney stones, it will provide relief from the back pain.
Steps to perform Ushtra Asana:
- Firstly, sit on your knees, keeping your hands on the sides.
- Now, try to slowly bend your head and neck backwards. Bend as much as you can without any discomforts.
- After this, try to hold your heels with your hands.
- Stay in this position for 10 seconds and breathe normally.
Uttanpadasana ( Raised leg pose)
Uttanpadasana is an effective Yoga pose for kidney stones that helps by strengthening the muscles in the back, hips and pelvic region. It also helps in strengthening the abdominal muscles. Uttanpadasana contracts the abdominal muscles, thereby improving the functioning of the pancreas, kidneys and the liver. If you have kidney stones, this Asana can be very effective in relieving the pain.
Steps to perform Uttanpadasana:
- Start by lying down comfortably on the yoga mat.
- Keep your arms on the side of the body, with the palms facing downwards.
- Now, try to raise your legs in a 90-degree angle.
- Do not bend your knees and keep the legs straight.
- Hold this position of about 20 seconds.
- Then breathe out and bring the legs down slowly.
Pawanmuktasana (wind relieving pose)
If you are experiencing the troubles of kidney stones, Pawanmuktasana for kidney stones can be really helpful in providing relief from the pain that these stones cause. In some cases, it can even help in removing small stones. Pawanmuktasana tones the muscles of the abdominal region and reduces the tension in the lower back area. It also improves blood circulation.
Steps to perform Pawanmuktasana:
- Start by lying down on your back.
- Breathe in slowly and then bring your knees close to your chest.
- Clasp your knees with your hands.
- Bring your head up and try to touch your chin to your knees.
- Take a few long breaths in this position and then release while exhaling.
Bhujangasana (Cobra pose)
Bhujangasana is yet another Yoga pose effective for kidney stones. It strengthens the muscles in the back and also improves blood circulation. Bhujangasana contracts the abdominal muscles and improves the functioning of the kidneys. It also stimulates the urinary system. Therefore, regular practice of Bhujangasana can help reduce the symptoms.
Steps to perform Bhujangasana:
- The first step is to lie down flat on your stomach. Make sure that your hands are n the sides and your toes touch.
- Move your hands forward to the shoulder level. Your palms should face downwards.
- Breathe in and lift the upper part of the body up.
- You will feel a stretch on your back. Now, relax your shoulders.
- Hold this pose for 15-20 seconds and breathe normally.
Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
Dhanur Asana is a yoga pose with a variety of benefits. It improves blood circulation in the spinal region. It also improves the functioning of the abdominal organs. Dhanurasana strengthens the back muscles and increases their elasticity. Thus, Dhanurasana can be helpful in relieving the pain caused due to kidney stones.
Steps to perform Dhanurasana:
- Firstly, lie down comfortably on your stomach. Your hands should be on the sides and your legs should be apart.
- Inhale deeply, and while exhaling, fold your knees and then hold your ankles with your hands.
- Again, breathe in and pull your chest off the ground. Pull your legs up and straighten them. This pose should appear like a bow.
- Maintain this pose for about 20 seconds.
Garudasana (Eagle Pose)
Garudasana is another Yoga pose that helps in relieving the symptoms of kidney stones. This yoga pose is very effective in improving the balance of the body. It strengthens the lower body muscles and increases the blood circulation to the kidneys. It improves the functioning of the kidneys and provides substantial relief from the troubles associated with kidney stones.
Steps to perform Garudasana:
- Start by standing straight on the floor.
- Next, lift your right leg and then cross it over the left thigh, balancing your body on the left leg.
- Raise both your elbows and bring them to the shoulder level.
- Cross the left elbow over the right one. Next, bring your palms together.
- Hold this posture for 20 seconds and meanwhile, breathe normally.
The above-mentioned Yoga poses for kidney stones are quite simple and yet very effective. It is better if you perform these with just a little guidance. If you perform these yoga asanas properly and regularly, you will witness a major from the troubles of kidney stones in just a few weeks. Also, along with these yoga poses, certain changes in the diet can also be helpful. Bring in a more healthy fluid diet as a part of your daily routine.
Within a few weeks, you will notice a considerable relief from the pain and other symptoms of kidney stones. These poses are very effective and can be helpful in the treatment of kidney stones.
NOTE: If you face any difficulty and pain while performing any of these asanas, do not perform the particular asana again. Otherwise, it may aggravate the symptoms of kidney stones. (Also Read: What if kidney stones are left untreated?
The Bottom Line
Also, if this yoga poses for kidney stones and dietary changes do not provide substantial relief or the symptoms persist, the doctor may advise you to undergo surgery. Do not fret much about the treatment, as modern surgical treatments like lithotripsy are available for the treatment of kidney stones.
Lithotripsy is a technically advanced procedure and inflicts no pain. It breaks the larger stones into smaller ones using shock waves so that these can easily pass through the urine. It is an effective procedure and you can get rid of kidney stones within a short interval of time.
If you are suffering from kidney stones and have any queries about it, you reach out to us at Pristyn Care. We will be happy to help you in any manner we can.