A hernia is a fairly common abnormality in one’s body which is caused by the exit of an organ or tissue through the cavity wall it resides in.
Hernias can occur in different parts of our body. However, the most common of them occur in the abdomen, specifically near the groin. Apart from groin hernias in the inguinal canal or femoral canal, umbilical hernia, and hiatal hernias are also fairly common. Post-surgery hernia or incisional hernias occur in surgery sites that have not healed properly.
The most common remedy for a hernia is of course surgery. However, the recovery period after surgery can be quite long and even painful. That is why many people are opting for painless hernia treatment in the form of hernia belt or hernia truss.
Also Read: Possible treatments for Hernia
What is a Hernia Belt?
A hernia belt is a belt worn around the abdomen that helps to push the displaced organ or protrusion back to its original place. In medical terms, the process is known as a reduction of the hernia and is one of the procedures for painless hernia treatment for patients.
For groin hernias, there is a specific kind of hernia belt known as a truss that can help to reduce the condition. However, not all hernias can be treated by wearing a belt and some need surgical intervention sooner or later.
Let us now take a glance at the purpose and benefits of using hernia belts.
What is the Purpose of a Hernia belt?
The main purpose of a hernia belt is to help reduce the protrusion in your body. These belts are usually made of plastic and are wrapped around the site of hernia tightly to keep the bulge from protruding further.
The belt has a piece of hard plastic or metal that when positioned on the hernia site applies pressure on the bulge and helps to push it back to its place.
Since the belt keeps the bulge in place, it must be worn at all times to make it effective. Otherwise, its purpose is defeated by the simple acts of sneezing, coughing etc. that puts a strain on your body.
However, this painless hernia treatment procedure has numerous benefits as well.
What is the difference between Trusses, Belts, Binders and Corsets?
When speaking generally, none of the terms are not significantly different from one another. Trusses, binders and corsets are types of hernia belts. To support hernias in the abdomen, one should wear binders and corsets while trusses are hernia belts to support groin hernias. All of these terms are used interchangeably. Look at the product description before buying to see what kind of support the belt offers.
What are the Benefits of using Hernia Belts?
Apart from being one of the most painless hernia treatment procedures, there are several benefits of using a hernia belt. They are:
- In cases where hernia is not severe, hernia belts along with medications and regular yoga are enough to cure the condition.
- The belts are worn under your clothes. Thus they do not warrant any extra problems in terms of using them regularly.
- Wearing a belt or truss puts steady pressure on the hernia site, preventing the condition from re-occurring.
- Wearing a hernia belt also helps to reduce the pain or discomfort in the affected area.
- Sometimes, a surgery is inevitable for the hernia. In that case, using a belt in the period between the diagnosis of the condition and the surgery helps to keep the pain minimal and prevents further damage.
- Apart from being a painless hernia treatment process, it is also inexpensive and easily available in stores.
- They are also available in different sizes for men, women and children, thus making them accessible for everyone.
What Should I Consider Before Purchasing?
Here are some factors that you should consider before purchasing a hernia belt-
- The Type of Hernia-Depending on the type of hernia, one should buy the hernia belt. Or else, the wrong hernia belt will worsen the condition.
- The Location of Hernia- Consider the location of the hernia before purchasing the hernia belt. Otherwise, the hernia can dislocate further.
- The Type of Activities you are going to perform- Intensive activities require hernia belts that can provide more pressure and support. Hence, the type of activities is also a factor to consider.
- If the patient is an ostomate- For patients with colostomy, ileostomy, urostomy require more support and pressure to the hernia.
5 Best Hernia Belts That Can Help In Treating Hernia
The UFeelgood Ergonomic Belt
Available in 5 sizes, this hernia truss ensures that users get an accurate fit. People suffering from an abdominal hernia get relief after wearing this belt. There are two features to this hernia belt- breathable elastic design and splint on each side for extra support. In addition to this, this is so light that one can wear it under the clothes comfortably.
The Wonder Care Double Inguinal Hernia Belt
For people suffering from an inguinal hernia, this belt can provide support for them. The belt has cushions that applies pressure on the patient’s left and right side for added pain relief. The velcro can help in adjusting the belt.
The Curad Hernia Belt
Similar to the previous type, this hernia belt also features compression ads to provide pressure to the affected area. The difference lies in the fact that these pads are detachable. Easily wearable under regular clothes, this hernia belt also has lightweight elastic with velcro fasteners.
The OTC Hernia Belt
This hernia belt is beneficial for umbilical hernias as well as abdominal hernias. The elastic in this type of hernia belt fits according to the body type as well as provides greater comfort. Although this one comes with so many features, putting it on is difficult.
The Meditex Uriel Right Side Inguinal Belt
As the name suggests, this hernia belt is for patients suffering from inguinal hernia- bulge in the groin areas. However, people suffering from low hernias should not wear this.
However, hernia belts should be used only after consulting your doctor. Even though they help to reduce the hernia and manage pain and its other symptoms, it is not a permanent solution in most cases.
Do Hernia Belts Work in Curing a Hernia?
The design of a hernia belt is such that it keeps the contents of the hernia inside the abdominal wall. This is ensured by applying pressure over the weakened area near the hernia. Some people apply pressure with hand when the hernia causes uncomfortable symptoms. But when the discomfort doesn’t seem to go, one can put on a hernia belt.
Hernia belts can only minimize the symptoms until the patient goes for surgery. The belts are safe and effective to use.
Even though they are great methods that facilitate hernia reduction, these belts are not safe for prolonged use. They might pose the risk of cutting off blood supply to the area, giving rise to problems.
Hernia repair is the most effective method to treat the hernia before it turns fatal. That is why, it is crucial to get the right belt for your condition and it should be used strictly under your doctor’s supervision.
Although wearing hernia belts is an option, a laparoscopic hernia repair is a permanent solution for curing hernia.