The above question is one of the major concerns people have related to liposuction. Interested individuals get jittery when they have to make a decision about undergoing the procedure. Read this article in order to get some information pertaining to the safety of liposuction which is a body enhancement procedure.
What happens after liposuction?
Once the liposuction surgery is complete, you’ll wake up feeling tired and groggy due to the after-effects of anesthesia. No pain is felt at that moment as the effects of anesthesia continue to subdue the pain. But once you reach home and the effect wears off, the pain and discomfort kick in. To bear the pain, the doctor will prescribe some pain medications that will minimize the discomfort until your body heals.
Remember, it is not an alternative to weight loss treatment which means it can cause some serious risks and complications.
Also read: What to expect after liposuction?
For whom liposuction is a safe procedure?
Liposuction is a safe procedure to undergo for the following people-
- Maintains 30% of their ideal body weight
- With good skin elasticity and laxity
- Not suffering from any health problem
- Not in the habit of smoking or drinking
- Unable to shed the extra fat cells with proper diet and exercise
Liposuction is not suitable for everyone who wishes to get rid of stubborn fat pockets. When an individual for whom liposuction is not an appropriate treatment option undergoes liposuction, it can pose several severe side effects. Therefore, the following people should NOT consider liposuction at any cost.
- Someone who is in the habit of smoking
- Suffering from several long-term health problems
- Someone whose skin loses elasticity
- Have suffered from diabetes, deep vein thrombosis, cardiovascular disease, or seizures in the past
- Someone who is not maintaining 30% of their ideal weight
- An individual who has a weakened immune system
- Someone who takes blood-thinning medicines for a particular health condition
Risks Associated With Liposuction
The doctors at Pristyn Care explain to the patients that liposuction is major surgery. Furthermore, the side effects of the liposuction that can occur during the recovery period are-
- Reaction to anesthesia
- Accumulation of fluid
- Numbness of the treated area
- Change in skin sensation
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Swelling that doesn’t subside
- Poor healing of the wound
- Looseness of skin or worsening of cellulite
- Uneven, wavy, or bumpy skin due to poor skin elasticity
Our doctors explain all the risks of side effects and complications well beforehand to the patients so that they can have a realistic picture.
Long-term complications that can occur after liposuction
There can be some complications that can develop with time if proper instructions are not followed. In some cases, these complications have proven to be fatal. The reported cases in which liposuction was not successful and was fatal because the following complications developed-
- Burn or thermal injury due to the cannula movement
- Pulmonary edema
- Pulmonary embolism
- Kidney or cardio problems
- Damage to other organs such as blood vessels, muscles, abdominal organs, etc.
Fortunately, the above complications occurred previously with traditional types of liposuction such as tumescent liposuction. With more advanced techniques, such as those used at Pristyn Care clinics for instance VASER liposuction, the risk of such complications is reduced to almost nil.
How to ensure liposuction is completed safely?
You can reduce the chances of any side effects as well as complications associated with liposuction if you are properly prepared for the procedure. A lot of people tend to ignore several instructions recommended by the doctor before the procedure that increases the chances of the aforementioned side effects.
In some cases, although rare, the consequences can be fatal. At Pristyn Care, our team of doctors reschedules the procedure to another day if they find out that the patient hasn’t followed the pre-operative instructions properly. Here are some recommendations that our doctors ask to follow before liposuction surgery-
- Let the doctor know about the medications that you take on a daily basis. Stop taking the medicines that the doctor asks for or find a replacement for the same.
- The day you decide to undergo the procedure for enhanced body shape, stop smoking or drinking to prevent deterioration of the laxity of the skin.
- Prior to the surgery, ask someone to support you throughout the hospitalization as well as the initial days of the recovery.
- Stop taking blood-thinning medicines such as aspirin to reduce the risk of excessive bleeding. In addition to this, avoid taking anti-inflammatory drugs to make sure that there is no inflammation during the recovery.
How to recover safely after liposuction?
Similar to the preparation, it is equally important to take care of yourself throughout the recovery period of 6 weeks. If you take proper care during this particular period, the results also appear as expected. Try to keep the below-mentioned tips for the entire recovery period to reduce the risk of complications.
- Do not perform any kind of rigorous activity or exercise that can harm the wounds.
- To prevent constipation so that you don’t have to strain, eat a lot of fibrous foods.
- Regularly sip on some fluids to prevent dehydration at any cost.
- Take proper rest for at least 8-9 hours to speed up the healing process.
- Wear the compression garment throughout the day and put it down when you have to change the dressings only.
- While sleeping, prop up some pillows under the head so that you have less discomfort or pain.
- Wear only loose clothing for the initial 2 weeks of the recovery.
- Control the urge to itch the wounds and the surrounding area as the wound dries. Otherwise, scratching the area can increase the risk of infections.
- While doing any kind of movement, be extremely careful that you don’t hurt the stitches.
Liposuction is a United States Food and Drug Administration-approved procedure. This indicates that it is a safe procedure to undergo. Moreover, at Pristyn Care, our doctors rely only on the latest technology and follow each standard of the protocol to ensure maximum safety for all our patients. We leverage the modern laser and VASER type of liposuction that offers several benefits and provide desired results. Get in touch with our liposuction experts to know more about the same.