Sitz bath is a therapeutic warm bath to heal anorectal conditions such as piles, fissure, or genital herpes. It provides relief from symptoms such as itching, pain, swelling and inflammation in the genitals. Sitz bath can be done in a bathtub or using a sitz bath on the toilet seat.
Is sitz bath good for piles in your condition?
Ask your doctor about the severity of piles. Ask if you can take sitz bath for hemorrhoids at home. Whether a sitz bath for piles helps your condition get better? If the doctor says “Yes”, then go ahead and purchase a sitz bath kit that comes with a plastic bag along with a tube on the end which is used to spray water over the genitals.
Another way is you can use your bath tub to take sitz bath at home without spending money.
What additives can be used during sitz bath for hemorrhoids at home?
There are various additives that can be added to make sitz bath more effective. They can be:
All these prevent the growth of infection and provide relief from pain and itching. It is always recommended to avoid additives with fragrances. They may worsen piles condition. Also, avoid using any soap or shower gel in sitz bath.
How to take sitz bath at home in the bath tub?
If you are planning to take sitz bath for piles at home, here is what you have to do:
- First step is to clean the sitz bath tub. Scrub it and rinse it well to avoid any kind of infection.
- Fill the bath tub with comfortable warm water. Make sure it should not be discomforting or must not cause burn.
- Add the ingredients that the doctor has prescribed you to put in water for relief from symptoms of piles.
- Now, get into the bath tub and soak the affected area for 15-20 minutes. Try to bend your knees keeping them out of the bath tub.
- Come out of the bath tub and pat yourself dry. Use a clean and washed towel. Rubbing or scrubbing the affected area can cause discomfort and pain.
- Clean the bath tub thoroughly for the next use.
How to take sitz bath for hemorrhoids at home using a kit?
When you use a sitz bath kit for piles, it can speed up healing process by boosting the blood flow in the anal region. In the sitz bath kit, there is a plastic tub that fits over the toilet seat. Here are the steps to use it:
- Again, the first thing is to clean the sitz bath tub before using it.
- Put the sitz bath into the toilet seat so that it fits on it and check its placement by moving it so that it stays in place.
- Pour lukewarm water so that your perineal area can completely get soaked into it.
- Sit on the sitz bath and soak the affected area for 15-20 minutes. Some sitz bath may not have a vent to prevent the overflow of the water while you sit on it. But that is fine. This water goes into the toilet and can be flushed later on.
- Stand up and pat dry the area. You will notice that the sitz bath for piles is very relieving. It reduces the soreness and inflammation caused by hemorrhoids.
- Do not rub or scratch the area, it can be very discomforting.
- Clean the sitz bath for next use.
Is there any risk of taking sitz bath at home?
- If you do not clean or rinse the sitz bath tub thoroughly, there is a chance of infection to the affected area.
- Sometimes, the surgeons recommend a sitz bath for piles after surgery. This may be for quick healing. But sometimes, wounds may burn or you may experience itching if the sitz bath procedure is not followed as per the instruction.
Sitz bath after-care
If the doctor prescribes you any ointment for piles, you can use it after a sitz bath. Make sure you clean your hands before and after applying the ointment for hemorrhoids. Usually, the ointments may not be necessary if there is any infection. Talk to the doctor for the best cream for piles if you really think you need them.
Usually, a sitz bath provides great relief from symptoms of piles such as pain, itching, swelling, soreness and inflammation. If sitz bath is not helping you, then contact your doctor. You can also write down your query below and send it to us or consult a piles specialist online. If the condition is severe Sitz bath may not help you. Get online consultation for the piles treatment at Pristyn Care.
Also read: Know about pile laser surgery
Also read: When piles need surgery