Piles or hemorrhoids may cause pain, itching and rectal bleeding. There are natural treatments for hemorrhoids that provide relief from its symptoms. One of the home remedies is Epsom salt for piles.
What is Epsom Salt?
Epsom salt is made up of magnesium sulfate and is commonly available in Indian kitchens. You must be thinking where can you get Epsom salt? Well, Epsom salt is easily available in grocery stores or pharmacies. Use Epsom salt for hemorrhoids either as a compress or in sitz bath.
How to use Epsom Salt for piles?
Here are 4 easy methods on how to use Epsom salt for piles:
Method 1: Epsom Salt Bath
- Take ½ cup Epsom salt.
- Fill your tub with warm water and add Epsom salt to it.
- Lower your affected anal region and soak yourself in for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off and pat dry the area. Do not wipe or rub to dry.
- Repeat this process thrice a day.
Method 2: Epsom Salt and Lavender Oil for Piles
- Take 4 cups of Epsom salt and 15-20 drops of lavender oil.
- Fill your bathtub with water and add Epsom salt and lavender oil to it.
- Dip yourself into the water for about 10-20 minutes.
- Rinse and pat dry the area with a towel.
- Repeat it twice or thrice a week.
Method 3: Epsom Salt and Glycerin Paste for Piles
- Take 4 tablespoons of Epsom salt and 4-5 drops of glycerin.
- Mix it well to form a paste.
- Put this paste on a clean towel or a pad, apply it to the affected area and hold it to the affected area.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes and remove it.
- Repeat the process every 4-6 hours a day.
Method 4: Epsom Salt Paste for Piles
- Take 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt with one tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
- Mix both the ingredients to form a paste.
- Apply the paste to the affected area.
- Wait for 20 min and wash it off with a clean soft cloth and warm water.
- Do this process 3-4 times a week.
Using Epsom Salt in a Sitz Bath
Sitz bath is a small tub that fits on your toilet seat. It allows you to soak just your anal region and genitals. You can do the above methods using sitz bath without taking a complete bath. This is available at pharmacy stores or you can order them online.
Sitz bath is very effective in treating itching, the burning sensation and the inflammation due to piles. It is important that before taking any natural treatment for hemorrhoids, you must consult a doctor.
Things you must know about Epsom salt
- It is not like table salt.
- Epsom salt helps stabilize mood and relieve stress, anxiety and depression.
- Epsom salt is for external use only.
- Buy Epsom salt from a known and reputable source.
Warning about Epsom salt bath for piles
If you experience any itching or inflammation or pain after Epsom salt bath for piles, stop using it. Seek medical advice from a doctor, however, it happens to very few people according to research.
Mild symptoms may be treated with Epsom salt. But if you notice bleeding piles and pain like never before, it’s time to contact the doctor for proper diagnosis. It may be symptoms of thrombosed piles. Do not try to use Epsom salt for thrombosed piles, it may get worse.
Hemorrhoids or piles is a very common problem. Take note if Epsom salts solve the purpose of providing relief from the symptoms of piles. It is generally known for providing temporary solutions to treat piles. You can contact a healthcare provider who may suggest either some topical medication or in severe cases, even recommend surgery to treat piles (Grade 4 hemorrhoids).
Also Read: Eating Banana in Piles
Also Read: Buttermilk for piles Sufferers