Ayurveda is an ancient traditional Indian medicine that has long been used over a thousand years ago. It follows a holistic approach in treating a patient as a whole by combining the use of various herbs and minerals. Similarly, Vridhivadhika Vati an ayurvedic formulation that is composed of various herbs and minerals to treat a variety of ailments. Vridhivadhika Vati is primarily used to treat different kinds of hernia like inguinal hernia, intestinal hernia, hydrocele, etc. conditions.
Ayurvedic view of hernia and its treatment by Vridhivadhika Vati
According to the context of Ayurveda, the body is composed of three elements often referred to as dosha, which are Vāta dosha (air and ether), Kapha dosha (earth, water), Pitta dosha (water, fire). All these dosha ensures the proper functioning of the body and any imbalance in this body can cause diseases. Similarly, hernia is also a result of vitiated Vāta dosha and to correct the Vāta dosha in conditions like hernia and hydrocele, ayurvedic formulation like Vridhivadhika vati is given
Therapeutic indications or Uses of Vridhivadhika vati
Vridhivadhika Vati is beneficial in the following reported health conditions; it is also used for the treatment, control, prevention, & improvement of various other diseases, and signs or symptoms of those diseases. Some of them are:
- Vridhivadhika Vati is useful in various cardiovascular disorders like hyperlipidemia, hypercholesterolemia, and atherosclerosis
- All Types of Hernia, Hydrocele
- Respiratory conditions like Asthma, tuberculosis
- Various parasitic and microbial disorders
- Digestive disorders like flatulence, gastric ulcer, stomach heaviness, peptic ulcer, abdominal pain, bloating, stomach ache, and cramps
- Skin disorders like vitiligo
- Sex stimulant and used in oligospermia, testicular regeneration
- Various inflammatory conditions like gastroenteritis, arthritis and bronchitis
Side effects of Vridhivadhika Vati:
Vridhivadhika Vati is a formulation that is composed of thirty one herbal ingredients. Some of the ingredients present in the formulation if not processed well may increase the tendency of its side effects. The list below may not be comprehensive and it may be possible that these side effects may not occur always. Some of the side effects of Vridhivadhika vati are:
- Nausea, vomiting, dizziness and diarrhea may occur due to the presence of three emetic ingredients Tamra Bhasma, Kansya Bhasma, Nila Thotha Bhasma.
- It has also been found that symptoms like vertigo and anal fissures may predominate if the tamara bhasma an ingredient in Vridhivadhika vati is not well processed.
- Other side effects may include optic atrophy, high blood pressure, digestive problems like stomach upset.
Effectiveness of Vridhivadhika Vati
Vridhivadhika vati is an ayurvedic formulation that balances the vitiated Vāta and Kapha dosha in an individual. Effectiveness of Vridhivadhika Vati has been proven in various diseases.
- The formulation is known to improve immunity and build resistance to various diseases.
For example: in the management of diseases like tumor and filaria (a parasitic worm).
- The major key ingredients present in Dabur Vridhivadhika Vati are sunthi, mirach, and lauh bhasma. Here are the health benefits of each of these:
- Sunthi, one of the major ingredients of Vridhivadhika Vati help patients suffering from hernia by protecting the internal organs damaged due to inflammation and thus relieve pain as well as inflammation in patients suffering from a hernia.
- Mirach is another helpful ingredient that acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and reduces the inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Lauh Bhasma a calcined form of iron can stimulate the digestive system and increase its capacity aiding in easy passage of stools.
Dosage & administration:
Scientific research studies have shown that 375 mg which is the maximum tolerable dosage with maximum potential can be prescribed to an individual’s body.
Contraindications of Vridhivadhika Vati
Vridhivadhika vati should may not be suitable in following conditions
- Wilson’s Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Severe Abdominal Throbbing Pain
- High blood pressure
- Bleeding Piles
- Anal Fissures
- Water retention
- Cracked skin
Ayurvedic formulations like Vridhivadhika vati helps in preventing unnecessary suffering by eliminating the root cause of the disease and restoring the balance of the body. At the same time it also helps create a healthy life-style to prevent the recurrence of imbalance.
Also Read: Things To Do and Avoid During Hernia