As soon as males reach puberty, there are so many changes in the body. Owing to the production of a higher level of estrogen during adolescence, the breasts start to enlarge. After its onset, the breasts grow for another 6 months and then it stabilizes. By the time a man goes into their twenties, the chest flattens.
Usually, gynecomastia is a condition that occurs largely in older men. The age group 27-92 years is the primary category that experiences some degree of gynecomastia. In older men, the cause of gynecomastia is different. With age, the testosterone levels decrease due to some medical conditions or simply because the testes fail to function properly. Hence, this results in a higher level of estrogen, and thereby, signs of gynecomastia occur.
Read more: 4 Stages of Gynecomastia
What is the age criteria for undergoing gynecomastia surgery?
In some men, the breasts grow till they are 18. There is no directive from any regulatory body that can clearly define at the appropriate age for opting for the surgery. According to experts from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, younger patients can also go for gynecomastia surgery if the doctor finds it fit. In such circumstances, these are not considered as a part of body contouring. Rather, these are grouped under corrective procedures.
What is the lower age limit for gynecomastia surgery?
Men who have not reached 18 years should look for other options to curb breast swelling and enlargement. In India, the individual suffering from gynecomastia has to be an adult (18 years or above) to undergo gynecomastia surgery. While in other countries, plastic surgeons recommend waiting until 25 years of age to go for gynecomastia surgery. As an explanation, they claim that by this age the breast growth stabilized.
Doctors of Pristyn Care recommend that younger patients should consider the following factors before undergoing surgery-
- Visit an endocrinologist to make sure that hormonal levels are imbalanced
- Have parental support and understanding
- Visit the doctor to make sure that the condition is chronic
- Determine that young man
However, there can be some medical conditions that require surgical procedures at a young age. In such instances, these are considered as corrective procedures.
What is the upper age limit for gynecomastia surgery?
To answer the question in the discussion, there is no capping on the upper age limit for gynecomastia surgery. Apart from the impact of gynecomastia surgery on the overall health of the body, there are no compulsory restrictions. Hence, people above 70 years can undergo gynecomastia surgery and experience long-lasting results for the rest of their life.
The ideal candidates for gynecomastia surgery include-
- People who don’t use drugs
- Men who have tried other non-surgical treatment options
- Individuals not suffering from any other medical condition that can interfere with the treatment
- People who maintain a healthy weight
- Men who take care of their physical health
- Men whose breast growth has stabilized
Pristyn Care doctors take extra steps of caution before performing surgeries in older men.
- Prescribing the appropriate diagnostic tests in order to minimize any chances of complications
- Informing the patients about the potential risks that can occur during and after the procedure
- Physically examining the patient thoroughly so that there is no visible scarring after the procedure
- Discharging the patient only after keeping him under observation for a couple of hours to make sure that there are no possible signs of bleeding.
- Providing the patient with a set of instructions to follow after the surgery so that there are infections nor complications.
Read more: True Gynecomastia VS Pseudogynecomastia
How To Maintain Results After Gynecomastia Surgery?
At Pristyn Care clinics, the results of gynecomastia are permanent in nature. With the help of techniques such as liposuction and gland excision surgery, we remove excess fat, extra glandular tissue and skin permanently. However, if people go back to using steroids or following sedentary lifestyle that leads to obesity, the condition can recur.
Hence, our doctors prescribe patients some instructions to follow that can maintain the results in the long run.
- Make sure to eat a variety of vegetables, whole grains, fruits, lean meats, healthy oils, legumes, nuts, seeds and low-fat dairy
- Have two drinks of alcohol or sugary drinks in a week
- Limit consumption of trans and saturated fats
- Get at least 2.5 hours of moderate physical exercises along with 5 hours of aerobic exercise in a week
Call us today to schedule an appointment. Pristyn Care doctors treat gynecomastia with the most advanced treatment options that offer fast recovery and minimal pain.