Hernia is a medical condition in which an internal organ or muscle tissue bulge out of its normal position through a weak point in the cavity it is positioned. This mainly happens with abdomen organs and can lead to pain and swelling in the region. The Ayurvedic term for hernia is “Antra Vriddhi”. This condition can develop in any region of the body, in both men and women and at any age.
A hernia can be a hereditary condition, some factors that contribute are:
- Persistent coughing
- Excess pressure while passing feces
- Straining abdominal muscles by lifting heavy objects
Ayurvedic treatment for hernia
Surgical treatments such as open surgery and laparoscopic surgeries are available in modern science. However, Ayurveda for hernia has been helping patients from a long run if followed strictly. Ayurvedic guidelines to cure and prevent hernia are as follows : -
- Break your meals:Ayurveda says to divide your meals into small portions rather than eating large meals twice a day.
- Take time to eat:Make sure you chew every bite properly before swallowing. Doesn’t matter how hungry you are or if your fellow companion finishes up early.
- Keep yourself hydrated:Water is an essential component of our body and to maintain that natural balance it is advisable to drink lots of water and other non-alcoholic & non-aerated fluids.
- Stop drinking water in-between your meals: Drinking water between meals can interfere with normal digestion. It is better to have a glass of water five minutes before your meal and only an hour after the meal.
- Combination:It is important to keep a check on the food combination. Avoid eating raw and processed food together. Moreover, the cooked food should not be overcooked as it destroys the essential vitamins.
- Vegetable & fruit juice:Indulge in having fresh vegetables and fruit juices.
- Whole grain food:Include more whole grains, fiber, and cereals in your diet rather than processed foods.
- Physical activity:In this sedentary lifestyle, take some time out to perform some physical activity such as walking, climbing stairs, yoga or exercise.
- Sleep:Do not sleep just after having your meals and only after 2 hours.
Also Read: Hernia belts: learn about their purpose and amazing benefits for hernia treatment!