Alcohol anyhow is not healthy for the body. But, there is a direct link between alcohol and hemorrhoids. Alcohol eminently dehydrates the body. Alcohol is anyhow harmful to people with hemorrhoids as it directly affects the bowel movements. And if you consume it in excess, it can lead to serious symptoms in the patient.
Patients with hemorrhoids are recommended to not consume alcohol. Alcohol acts as a diuretic, it means that it somehow increases the production of urine, dehydrating the body.
Can the consumption of alcohol lead to Hemorrhoids?
Regular consumption of alcohol keeps the body dehydrated. Such a person has frequent complaints of constipation which directly has a bad effect on the bowel movements. Such a person has complaints of hard stool, which causes pain and worsens the condition of piles.
Regular consumption of alcohol also leads to an increase in blood pressure. High blood pressure puts an additional strain on the veins which puts more strain on the anal and pelvic area. Liver damage due to binge drinking or alcoholism also has a direct effect on hemorrhoids.
Liver and Hemorrhoids
Regular consumption of alcohol causes Liver Cirrhosis. Individuals with liver cirrhosis have a high risk of developing hemorrhoids. Liver Cirrhosis causes scarring of the liver which hinders the free passage and flow of blood. Cirrhosis usually does not show any symptoms until the liver damage is extensive.
Prevention for Hemorrhoids
Regular consumption of alcohol increases the heart rate and dehydrates the body which increases the risk of hemorrhoids. Following precautions should be taken in order to decrease the chances of getting piles or hemorrhoid.
- Eat a lot of fiber-rich food including fruits and vegetables. Also, one should drink a lot of water to keep the body from getting dehydrated. Finally, a dehydrated body results in the formation of hard stool.
- Sitting on a toilet seat for a long time, attempting to pass a stool.
- Avoid sitting for continuous hours. Sitting for long hours on a hard surface such as chair puts a lot of stress on the veins around the anal and pelvic area. This leads to swelling of veins in the anal area which leads to the disease of hemorrhoids.
- People with hemorrhoids should avoid certain foods such as high starch food including bread and other bakery foods, skim milk, polished rice, high protein diet, etc. Alcohol should be avoided, especially at night.
Symptoms of hemorrhoids
- Blood in stool
- Unable to pass stool and spending a lot of time on the toilet set
- Pain during the bowel movements
- Pain in the anus and anal opening, especially while sitting
Do alcohol and hemorrhoids go along?
Above all, alcohol has a direct and serious effect on hemorrhoids. In adverse cases, alcoholism can even cause hemorrhoids. People consuming alcohol must control the drinking level.