Anal fistula is a small tunnel that connects an infected gland or infected cavity inside the anus to an opening on the skin around the anus. The anus consists of many small glands that make mucus. Sometimes these glands might get clogged which could lead to generation of an abscess. These abscesses are at a higher chance of developing into the fistula.
Fistulas are generally formed between two loops of the intestine. According to the World Health Organisation(WHO), there are as many as 50,000 to 100,000 new cases of fistula each year. Now let’s know about fistula treatment in Ayurveda.
Treatment of fistula by Kshar Sutra
This is a revolutionary Ayurveda treatment to treat fistula without much chance of recurrence. The thread is made by applying many layers of herbal medicines and alkalis. This thread has miraculous properties in healing the wound from within due to the alkali layers it has.
Procedure involves the following:
- Various alkalis that are used in layering this seton thread are Apamargakshara, Arkakshara or Snuhikshara.
- The alkalis or these ayurvedic medicines are repeatedly coated on this thread 15-21 times.
- Some natural antibiotics are also used to coat Ksharsutra. These antibiotics may include haridra powder, guggulu, etc.
- The patient is anesthetized with general or spinal local anesthesia.
- The surgeon then takes a malleable probe and inserts into the external opening of fistula to the internal opening in the anal canal.
- Thereafter, the Kshar sutra is gently pulled out with probe through the anal opening and both ends of the thread are tied together.
- The ayurvedic drugs that are coated over the thread do their work and help in treating the tract as they slowly and gradually release in the tract.
- As a result, the abscess is drained out by the help of those drugs and no wound is overseen.
- After one week, the Ayurvedic doctor replaces the thread.
- The medicated thread, i.e., the Kshar sutra cuts and heals the tract. Finally, the thread is removed and the fistulous tract heals.
Benefits of Kshar Sutra treatment:
- Simple procedure
- Doesn’t need hospitalization for more than 4-5 hours
- Little chances of recurrence of the problem
- No loss of man-days
- Safe, sure and cost-effective
- Less invasive
- No sphincter muscles are cut or dissected therefore no case of incontinence is observed
Some cons of Kshar Sutra treatment:
- Sometimes, instead of local anesthesia, local anesthetic gel is used
- Painful treatment
- Post-operative pain observed
- Many papers written have stated it to be a fringe treatment and not very scientific
About Anal Fistula
The fistula is a condition in the anal canal or more precisely, a complicated version of piles. The condition is not easy to manage and doesn’t heal on its own. Another thing in the fistula that is really horrifying, patients suffer from severe pain when they sit.
Fistula has two openings, one at the anal canal & another, on the outer surface. Many patients also complain about an abscess near the anal canal that sometimes secretes blood and puss, that way a specialist can diagnose a fistula. If a patient feels secretion, abscess, and pain, it is a fistula.
If you consider treatment for fistula, a doctor may outright suggest a surgery. For a lot of patients, the condition cannot be treated using medicines. The only way a doctor can ensure healing is by excising the entire part (fistula). But Ayurvedic treatments are quite capable!
Ayurvedic treatments are performed with herbs and help maintain an excellent digestive system. The treatment is responsible for the right balance of the digestive system. The digestive system eliminates waste from the body, if the same doesn’t happen as it’s supposed to, it may lead to further health problems. So, it is necessary for rebuilding the balance of the digestive system to heal the anal fistulas.
Ayurvedic Fistula Treatment
Just like a lot of other conditions, Ayurveda has a cure for fistula as well. Let’s see how Ayurveda treats this medical condition.
In Ayurveda, the fistula is a result of inactive digestion, which indicates the main reason for the occurrence of the fistula. The digestive power of the person can be improved and strengthened. When a patient works on digestive health, he or she would have a much better chance of getting healthy again. Ayurveda offers two approaches to remedy the condition.
Another Approach for Fistula treatment in Ayurveda
Along with medicinal treatment, the doctor ensures an aseptic condition with a sitz bath. Daily for about 10 – 15 minutes, a patient can take sitz bath 2 – 3 times a day or after a bowel movement. Ayurvedic medicines increase the digestive power of the body. If the patient suffers from constipation, he can try Isabgol with Abhaya powder during bedtime. These medicines need to be taken for at least three months. They also help with constipation.
Is there any treatment for fistula that heals faster?
Well, no one wants to get such a disastrous condition, but anyone can be a patient of fistula. If you are looking for the best treatment of fistula, your timings couldn’t be more perfect. Now, with the advancements in medical science, medical procedures in which the fistula tract is totally ablated; the doctor performs modern procedures under General anesthesia. The most advanced treatment takes somewhere between 60-90 minutes depending on the severity of the condition.
In day-to-day lifecycle, feeding and excretion of the wastes is a natural process. If the natural process feels painful, inflicts discomfort, then a modern surgical procedure is the fastest way to cure the problem. Anyone can put an end to the fistula with laser surgery.
A mindset that surgical procedure might inflict an unwanted complication is up-rooted in India. The same is true for traditional (open) surgeries. However, the new and advanced treatment heals faster with laser ablation technology. The treatment is minimally invasive, involves fewer cuts or wounds, and rarely inflicts any complication.
So, this was all about fistula treatment in Ayurveda. This famous Kshar Sutra treatment is known to be really effective in providing relief with fistulas. But in case of any apprehensions or doubts, you can always visit your physician. He can diagnose your anal fistula by looking for an opening in the fistula tract or the skin. You can then go for fistulotomy which is one of the most common surgeries for anal fistula with a success rate of 87-94%. So, it is all up to you to choose the method of your choice.
You can always avoid the problem at first day by getting used to some must-do hygiene habits like cleaning your anal area thoroughly after every bowel movement, not straining while passing stool, keeping the anal area clean and dry, wearing comfortable and breathable clothes to avoid sweating and irritation, immediately treating diarrhea, eating fibrous food and drinking plenty of water. These were some ways you could choose to maintain anal hygiene in the first place.
If you are looking for a treatment procedure for anal fistula, make an appointment with the best Fitula doctor for you. You can call Pristyn Care to schedule a consultation meeting. The Pristyn Care team is dedicated to provide the best treatment and ensure high-quality care.