We cannot deny the fact that diet impacts our health to a great extent. Especially in the times when you cannot have the slightest clue of what disease could make you its prey, it’s better to keep working on strengthening your immunity and internal body strength. You can easily combat many issues like obesity, fissures, piles and diabetes by adopting certain changes in your lifestyle and eating habits. In this blog, we will learn about several foods that have capabilities to cure fissure. Common causes of anal fissure are anal intercourse, passing large or hard stools, constipation and straining during a bowel movement, chronic diarrhea, childbirth.
Here’s a list of foods that you should choose to include in your diet to heal fissure:
- Fiber-rich food: This is the most important thing that you should take care of. Eating about 25 to 30 grams of fiber each day will help you to pass soft stools which will heal your fissure and also aid in the bowel movements. Such fibrous foods include fruits, vegetables, whole grains and nuts.
- Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits are high in fiber and low in calories. So, you can consume them to heal fissure as they are also good in antioxidants which helps in taming inflammation and flare-ups.
- Peas and beans: This category includes beans, lentils, chickpeas, peanuts etc. Which are rich in both kinds of fibers, especially soluble types. This will help in preventing straining and unnecessary pressure while passing stool which might aggravate the fissure.
- Wheat bran: Consuming wheat bran will help you control mild constipation. Although they are not known as stool softeners they are a very good source of fiber.
- Plenty of water: Drinking plenty of water keeps you hydrated and keeps the digestion regulated and smooth. More water means less straining and hence healing fissure.
- Probiotic foods like fermented soya bean and yogurt: Probiotic foods will help you with the problem of constipation which will prevent you from spending too much time on toilet seat straining and causing harm to the fissure which will obstruct the healing process. Just make sure these foods do not contain artificial sweeteners or sugars if you purchase them from the supermarket.
- Flax seeds: These are loaded with fiber and omega 3 fatty acids that help in preventing constipation and straining. These are also natural laxatives.
- Apple: Apples are rich in a fiber named pectin which is a soluble fiber. It keeps your digestive tract in a gel-like consistency. This property of apple adds bulk to your stool and helps you pass softer stool.
- Papaya: Papayas are great for your digestion. Papaya contains an enzyme named papain which aids smooth digestion. These are also high in fiber and water content; hence it prevents constipation and promotes regularity. (Pregnant women should not consume it)
- Watermelon: Watermelon has high water content and some fiber which helps in promoting a healthy gut which in turn prevents constipation and aids in regular smooth bowel movement.
- Root vegetables: These are rich in intestine healthy fibers. You can eat them by roasting or boiling and making a stew of them with the skins on. This will provide your body with that resistant starch which enables you to pass soft stool without straining, pain and burns.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is very well known for its property of bulking up the stool. Hence, it helps in easy bowel movements which helps in healing fissures. It is also known for its anti-cancer qualities. It has a good amount of soluble fibers which will keep you regular.
Foods to be avoided/ Foods that could worsen fissure are as follows:
- Spicy food
- Processed food
- Bakery delicacies- cake, pastries, etc.
- Deep-fried food
- Dairy products
- Caffeinated drinks or food
So, these were some do’s and don’ts insights for a diet to cure fissure. As we know food plays a vital role in curing many problems and ailments. So, you can surely implement some dietary plans to ease up your bowel movements which in turn will cure fissure. Also, you can ask for some stool softener from a physician or over the counter if you suffer from bad constipation which is causing harm or bleeding to existing fissure. Increase the fluid intake, you can include fresh lime juice. Avoid excessive consumption of too spicy food, alcohol and heavy meals in the evening. Be active and avoid passive lifestyle.
Avoid stress and anxiety. Indulge in some light physical exercises, deep breathing exercises, meditation practice and yoga postures. These habits will help you have positive vibes and also aid in quick healing with better blood flow throughout the body. An anal fissure is a common problem in all age groups, and hopefully, these dietary guidelines will help you heal anal fissure quickly and effectively.
After all these dietary changes, if anal fissure is persistent or gets worse, consult a doctor. Something is wrong. Get a proper diagnosis for fissure to know the underlying cause so that the doctors can provide you with the right treatment necessary. You can get an online consultation with our doctors for your digestive disorders. Do not hesitate to give us a call and visit our website for fissure treatment.
Also Read: Stages of Fissure Healing
Also Read: Fissure Treatment in Patanjali