Suffering from hemorrhoids may make you feel embarrassed, uncomfortable and painful at times. You may not like talking about them but there is no escape rather than thinking about it. Hemorrhoids are extremely a common anorectic problem which is defined as the symptomatic enlargement and/or distal displacement of anal cushions.
Hemorrhoids are a very common anorectal medical condition characterized by symptomatic swelling and/or distal displacement of anal cushions or swelling of veins in the anus and rectal region. The symptoms of hemorrhoids include rectal bleeding while passing stools which are often painless. This may or may not involve the prolapsing of anal tissue.
Hemorrhoids are of two types- internal and external. Internal hemorrhoids that are present inside the anus and may cause bleeding and low-grade internal hemorrhoids treatment may include rubber band ligation to cut-off the blood supply to the area. Whereas, external hemorrhoids that are present near the opening of the anus do not require any treatment unless it causes discomfort.
Causes of hemorrhoids
Some of the most common causes of hemorrhoids (piles) include too much constipation, pregnancy and during childbirth.
Home remedies for the treatment of hemorrhoids
- Sitting in a warm water bath with Epsom salt can help you from that itching and burning sensation. (Also Read: How to Take Sitz Bath Procedure and Benefits )
- Ingredients like witch hazel and aloe vera are known to produce anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce the swollen vein’s size and prevent pain. (Also Read: Hemorrhoid Pads – Useful or Not! )
- Ice packs can numb swollen hemorrhoids and reduce pain.
- Other home remedies may include applying garlic as a suppository, coconut oil, consuming psyllium seeds also help get rid of hemorrhoids.
Raw garlic has long been used for its medicinal properties in a variety of diseases. The use of raw garlic for hemorrhoids can help ease pain and inflammation associated with it.
It is an extremely simple and effective treatment for hemorrhoids and anyone can easily get rid of their hemorrhoids sitting at home quickly and naturally without having to see a doctor.
Benefits of garlic in Hemorrhoid treatment
- Garlic is a potent anti-inflammatory agent and can reduce inflammation in hemorrhoids which is the main symptom of it.
- The strong antibiotic effects of garlic can kill those germs that may enhance the symptoms of hemorrhoids.
- It reduces blood pressure by promoting relaxation of the blood vessels.
- The topical application of garlic can promote the systemic circulation of blood to that particular area.
- It scavenges the free radicals and thus exerts anti-oxidant effects which are beneficial in removing those abnormal cells or unwanted cells.
How to take garlic for treating hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are a result of constipation and its treatment requires easy passage of stool and elimination of hemorrhoids. So, here comes the role of garlic.
- 1-2 raw garlic cloves, when taken along with milk during night time, can increase the digestive capacity and promotes easy passage of stool. This means you don’t have to push yourself and make that hemorrhoid even worse. Thus, garlic may consumption can slowly decrease the inflammation present near the anal or rectal region.
- You may simply insert a clove of garlic into the rectal area as a suppository, and enjoy its benefits of anti-hemorrhoid action. It helps reduce hemorrhoids present in the anal by reducing inflammation and acting as an anti-bacterial agent.
- If you don’t want to use garlic as a suppository, then poke its clove with a knife to release its essence and apply the same on your hemorrhoids. Leave it for a few minutes or till the time you use the loo for the next time and see its effect.
- Garlic crushed and mixed with coconut oil can add up to the benefits of garlic. Coconut oil and garlic act synergistically and together they may decrease the size of hemorrhoids by promoting easy defecation and anti-inflammatory effects.
Applying garlic topically for hemorrhoids may sting a bit, but one should consider the thought that there is no gain without pain. So, next time you fear that stinging sensation of garlic on hemorrhoids, think about its benefits and go for it. Just slice a clove of garlic into a few pieces and swallow them or apply them on your hemorrhoids twice a day and see them disappear in just a few days. Remember, consult a doctor before taking garlic as a home remedy as it depends on its severity.