Varicose veins are bulging and enlarged veins. This condition can be genetic or caused due to prolonged standing hours, blood pooling, weak veins, and poor circulation. Pain, burning sensation, swelling, and itching are common symptoms of varicose veins. There are some essential oils that may help to treat varicose veins or its symptoms. Theoretically, essential oils are used to reduce swelling, increase circulation, and ease the pain. (Also Read: Things You Should Know About Varicose Veins )
10 essential oils for varicose veins
- Helichrysum oil: This essential oil has anti-inflammatory and blood circulation properties and so it can be effective for calming down inflamed tissues and preventing the development of new varicose veins.
- Cypress oil: This essential oil constricts blood vessels, tightens the tissues and promotes the upward flow of blood and blood circulation.
- Frankincense oil: A really effective healing essential oil, frankincense boosts circulation, ensuring the blood does not pool in the lower extremities.
- Lemongrass oil: This oil helps in promoting blood circulation and is great for treating bulging veins, as it prevents blood from pooling and getting stagnant. It also keeps the blood vessels dilated, enabling smooth transportation of blood flow.
- Geranium oil: A multifaceted essential oil, geranium is also used to help stimulate hair growth. It can also help treat varicose veins.
- Lemon oil: The oil from lemons has a lot of beneficial properties. Applying lemon oil to the skin not only promotes proper blood circulation but also helps tighten blood vessel walls.
- Ginger oil: This oil can help promote blood circulation and is commonly used on swollen skin and sore muscles.
- Chamomile oil: Helps relieve the heaviness and discomfort that occurs from varicose veins. Massaging this oil on the legs before bed can help reduce pain, especially due to prolonged standing. It also promotes healthy blood vessel constriction.
- Rosemary: Several studies have revealed that rosemary oil improves blood circulation and relieves pain. Massaging rosemary oil on varicose veins can offer quick relief from the pain.
- Lavender: Lavender oil is known to help in reducing pain and inflammation. It has antioxidant, sedative, antimicrobial, calming, and antidepressant properties and has positive results for the treatment of varicose veins.
How can you use essential oils for varicose veins?
There are several ways to use essential oils for varicose veins:
- Make a warm or cool compress by soaking a small piece of cloth in a mix of 5 drops of essential oils and 1-liter water. Apply the compress on the varicose veins for about 15 minutes and keep your legs elevated while you have applied the oil.
- Add up to 30 drops of essential oil in approximately 3 tablespoons of carrier oil (you can choose from olive oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil). You can also add these oils to shea or cocoa butter. Use this mixture to massage directly on the varicose veins area. It is suggested to massage upwards in the direction of the heart.
- Dilute about 8 drops of essential oil in a carrier oil. Add the mixture to a warm bathtub or bathwater and have a bath with it.
Also Read: How to Use Tomatoes to Treat Varicose Veins?
Risks and warnings
Diluted essential oils are mostly considered safe for external use. Applying undiluted essential oil to the skin may cause irritation and inflammation.
Some people may experience potential allergic reactions. Symptoms of such allergic reaction may include:
- Skin burning or irritation
- Difficulty breathing
- Rapid heart rate
Also Read: Can spider veins be treated naturally?
Leave Varicose Vein Treatment to the Professionals
If you’re looking for a solution for varicose veins, it is best if you consult with a professional instead of trying home remedies. Fortunately, patients now have noninvasive options for treating varicose veins.
Laser treatment for varicose veins is a pain-free minimally invasive laser surgery. The patient will permanently get rid of varicose veins without any risks, cuts or blood loss.
Home remedies or alternative treatments such as using essential oils may not be harmful, but they are also not a permanent or long-term cure. For long-lasting results, contact Pristyn Care Laser Clinic and set up a consultation with a specialist today.