Spider veins are not usually dangerous and are treatable. But in some cases, spider veins can itch and burn causing a lot of discomforts. Spider veins are also known as thread veins and can appear anywhere in legs or face. Many people consider spider veins more of a cosmetic problem than a serious medical problem. For this reason, most people look for natural ways to treat spider veins. Therefore, know how to get rid of spider veins naturally.
Spider veins are very similar to varicose veins but they are smaller and in the shape of a spider’s web. Although usually benign, spider veins may actually be a sign of an underlying vein condition known as chronic venous insufficiency (CVI).
Difference Between Spider Veins and Varicose Veins
|Spider Veins||Varicose Veins|
|Spider veins are small veins that can be seen on the surface of legs or face.||Varicose veins are the large twisted veins that mostly appear on legs.|
|Spider veins may appear red, blue, or purple. They may or may not appear slightly raised above the skin surface.||Varicose veins do not appear red. They are mostly dark blue or purple. These tortuous veins tend to bulge over the skin surface.|
|Spider veins cause discomfort but are mostly painless||Varicose veins cause discomfort, pain, and burning sensation|
|Condition of spider veins can occur in superficial veins||Condition of Varicose veins can develop in the deep veins|
What exactly are spider veins and what do they look like?
Spider veins are small and thin blood vessels blue/purple. They appear near the surface of your skin and are quite visible to the naked eye.
Spider veins look like spider webs. Here are the signs and symptoms that confirm you have spider veins:
- Small thin veins that are close to the surface of the skin
- Blue or purple or red
- “Spider web” like appearance closely on the skin
- Itching or burning on the skin around these veins
Where Do Spider Veins Appear On The Body?
Usually harmless, spider veins may lead to significant problems related to the blood circulation in your body. Spider veins can appear on your thighs and other parts of your leg like feet or ankle.
What Causes Spider Veins?
Spider veins usually develop when the valves inside the veins stop working. These veins carry blood back to the heart for proper blood circulation. The blood flows backward if the valves stop working correctly further causing it to collect in the veins. The veins swell and they end up looking twisted, called spider veins. When these veins become flooded with blood, they start to leak it.
Risk factors of spider veins
- Age: Veins lose their elasticity and weaken as one grows old, causing blood to pool and veins to bulge.
- Genetics: Well, this can be due to your family history. The way your vein walls or valve functioning work runs in families.
- Gender: Women are more prone to spider veins, which is considered to be linked to pregnancy with extra weight, excess abdominal pressure, and increased blood flow.
- Hormonal fluctuations also cause blood vessels to dilate. Hormone replacement therapy and birth control pills seem to increase your chances of developing the condition.
- Obesity: Being overweight puts more pressure on the leg veins.
- Sedentary Lifestyle: Lack of activity slows blood flow. Desk jobs and the internet play a crucial role in making people lazy enough to get up and work.
- Occupation: Having a job that requires prolonged standing is a risk factor. Women who spend more than 75% of their working time standing or walking are more likely to have spider veins than others.
How to treat spider veins naturally?
While it’s difficult to “cure” them naturally, there are several home remedies for spider veins, that provide symptomatic relief. They include:
- Use essential oils for spider veins. Mix essential oil with the carrier oil and gently massage on the affected area. Some of the best oils to treat spider veins naturally include carrot seed, lemon, ginger, rosemary, frankincense, lemongrass, and geranium. Gentle massage increases the blood flow through the veins.
- Body Movement: Prolonged sitting or standing may lead to the condition of spider veins in legs. So push yourself to get up every 30 minutes to 1 hour. This will improve blood circulation throughout the body.
- Put your feet up. While resting, elevate the legs. Raising your legs above the level of your heart gives your veins a break as they don’t have to work against gravity.
- Go for compression stockings: It can aid in the contraction of the veins and muscles in the legs to increase blood flow. For mild symptoms, regular support stockings or over-the-counter compression stockings might help. For more severe symptoms of spider veins, your health professional would be the right person to contact.
- Increase fiber diet. It means to include more whole grains like bran, plus fruit and vegetables. Having fiber reduces the chances of constipation. Thus, include berries, orange, mango, green leafy vegetables, nuts, etc in your regular diet. You will notice the improvement when you bring healthy changes in your diet. (Also Read: 8 Foods For Varicose Veins Patients )
- Regular Exercise Is A Must: Walking for 30-minute a day can help to improve circulation, tone calf muscles, alleviate pressure, and reduce swelling. Walking also helps maintain a healthy weight. You can also perform some leg elevating exercises and yoga to get immediate symptomatic relief from spider veins.
- Reduce salt intake: Reducing salt consumption may help with the swelling that comes with spider veins.
- High heels are a big no:. Wearing high heels will only aggravate spider veins. They put undue stress on your ankles and legs.
- Wear loose clothes around the waist and legs. This helps in maintaining the right blood flow.
Apple cider vinegar, witch hazel, Epsom salt, coconut oil, garlic, and grape seed extract are some more natural home remedies that may help you treat spider veins naturally.
Spider Vein Treatment
When natural treatments do not work, there are different spider vein treatments that you can opt for, after consulting with your doctor. Here is a look at some of the best options you can consider:
- Sclerotherapy for spider veins: It is the single most effective spider vein treatment. The doctor injects a liquid agent consisting of fatty acids, salt, and glycerin, which collapses the vein.
- Laser Treatment for spider veins: Another popular spider vein treatment is laser surgery. The doctor injects a fiber light into the vein to heat it and make it disappear. It is the most advanced treatment for spider veins that is minimally invasive in nature. Laser treatment does not use any cuts or incisions to treat spider veins. Only the high-intensity laser beam is enough to treat the affected veins. The laser does not affect the surrounding healthy veins. Also, the success rate of laser treatment is 100% and enables the patient to recover smoothly.
- Foam Sclerotherapy for spider veins: Foam is injected into the veins in this spider vein treatment. The foam collapses the diseased veins and makes them disappear.
Spider veins treatment at Pristyn Care
A lot of patients have been successfully treated for spider veins at Pristyn Care. Spider veins are a very treatable problem. Thus, you don’t have sweat over the treatment. If you have spider veins in your legs, varicose veins possibly accompany them. Therefore, you must not leave spider veins untreated and consider getting an ultrasound to make sure your condition is not worse than expected. Still, if you find yourself clueless, come to Pristyn Care. We offer the most advanced laser treatment for spider veins.
Natural treatment for spider veins may or may not work. Other surgical treatments for spider veins are not as daunting as you think. Since spider veins are near the surface of the skin, treatment is minimally invasive. You will either undergo small injections, or the vein doctor will perform laser treatment for veins to make them disappear.
Benefits of getting spider vein treatment
There are several benefits that you stand to gain from getting spider vein treatment including:
- Greater confidence in your appearance
- Proper diagnosis to rule out chronic venous insufficiency
- Smooth appearance of your skin
Spider veins are a common symptom of venous disease, and you should not ignore the signs. It is a good idea to seek consultation at Pristyn Care and get proper treatment for it after considering all the facts about spider veins and spider vein treatment.