Pilonidal sinus is of course a very troublesome condition that causes much pain and discomfort. It is the condition in which a cyst-like structure develops just near the tailbone. The infectious material comprising of dirt, dead cells, and hair follicles can usually leak from the pilonidal sinus.
You can imagine how irritating and painful it must be to deal with this pesky pilonidal sinus problem. But, now you don’t have to sweat much over it. Yoga can reduce the troubles of pilonidal sinus too.
So, if you are looking out for the natural ways to get rid of the pilonidal sinus, yoga is a must for you.
Effective yoga for pilonidal sinus:
Paripurna Navasana (Boat Pose)
Paripurna Navasana or Boat Pose is one of the most effective yoga asanas for pilonidal sinus. Practicing Paripurna Navasana strengthens the hip flexors and tones the entire lower body. Therefore, it alleviates the pain of pilonidal sinus. It also improves blood supply throughout the body.
Steps to perform Boat Pose:
- Start by sitting erect on the yoga mat, with your legs stretched out.
- Place your hands on the floor and make sure that your back is straight.
- While inhaling, lift your legs at a 45-degree angle from the floor.
- Extend your tailbone, move your hips closer to the navel, and straighten your knees. Your toes should be at the eye level.
- Now, lift your arms and bring them parallel to the floor.
- Hold the pose for about 30 seconds.
Kapalbhati is a kind of Pranayam that can work wonders in improving pilonidal sinus. Kapalbhati removes toxins from the body and thus helps in the purification of the blood. Kapalbhati greatly improves the blood supply to all the body organs and thus helps in their optimal functioning.
Steps to perform Kapalbhati:
- Firstly, sit comfortably on the floor with your spine erect.
- Place your hands on your knees. Your palms should be facing upwards.
- Inhale deeply and while exhaling, pull your stomach.
- Try to pull your navel in as much as you can and while relaxing the navel and abdomen, feel the breath flow into your lungs automatically.
- For one round of Kapalbhati, take 20 such breaths and complete 3 such rounds of Kapalbhati every day.
Anulom Vilom is yet another Pranayam that can produce excellent results in the case of pilonidal sinus. Anulom Vilom helps in the detoxification of the body and strengthens the vascular system. Anulom Vilom is also effective in reducing weight and thus prevents the worsening of pilonidal sinus.
Steps to perform Anulom Vilom:
- Sit in any meditative pose, with your spine erect.
- Now, block your right nostril using your right thumb and inhale through the left nostril.
- Block both the nostrils and hold the breath for 3-4 seconds.
- Keep the left nostril blocked, release the right nostril and then inhale through it.
- Block both the nostrils again and hold the breath for 4 seconds.
- Repeat the process and complete 10 rounds of Anulom Vilom.
Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose)
Sarvangasana is another beneficial yoga pose for pilonidal sinus that works by improving the functioning of the vascular system. Practicing Sarvangasana regularly majorly improves blood circulation throughout the body. Sarvangasana also increases the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood and helps in the detoxification of all body organs.
Steps to perform shoulder stand pose:
- Start by lying down on the yoga mat with your hands on the side.
- Bring your legs closer to the chest and try to lift your lower body slowly.
- Next, support your back with your hands and lift your legs upwards.
- Your entire body should be straight and your hands should be supporting your back.
- Maintain the pose for about 10 seconds and breathe normally.
Practicing these yoga exercises regularly will prove to be wonderful in not just improving pilonidal sinus but also the overall health. You will notice the amazing improvements in your condition of the pilonidal sinus in just a few weeks.
Also, keep in mind to not overexert yourself while performing yoga as it can lead to scarring of the pilonidal sinus.
A Quick Note for you- Although these above-mentioned yoga exercises are very effective in dealing with pilonidal sinus, first consult with your doctor. The doctor will give you the right advice depending upon the seriousness of the pilonidal sinus in your case. (Also read: Why you should not leave pilonidal sinus untreated?)
What else can you do to get fast relief from pilonidal sinus?
Here are some useful tips that you can implement in your daily routine along with yoga to get rid of pilonidal sinus.
- Applying a hot, wet compress to the cyst can help drain the cyst and thus alleviate pain and itching.
- Oils like tea tree oil and castor oil can speed up the healing of the pilonidal sinus.
- Soaking the pilonidal cyst in a warm and shallow Epsom salt bath can soothe the pain of pilonidal sinus.
- You can use turmeric and honey as these help in healing the pilonidal cyst faster.
Yoga, when paired with healthy lifestyle changes, can produce amazing results in improving the condition of pilonidal sinus.
Seek medical help if your condition of pilonidal sinus is recurring
If pilonidal sinus in your case is recurring, it is better to undergo the surgical treatment and get rid of pilonidal sinus troubles once and for all.
Surgical treatment is nothing to worry about as with the evolution of techniques like laser-based procedure, the surgical treatment has become much less complex and much more effective. Once you undergo laser treatment, you won’t have to face the discomforts of pilonidal sinus again and you can lead a happy and healthy life.
If you are looking for the best clinics for the treatment of pilonidal sinus, Pristyn Care is the right place for you. All you need to do is give us a call and we’ll take care of the rest.