Triphala Powder for piles or hemorrhoids, bawaseer in Hindi, is a known treatment since ancient times. It is commonly used as an Ayurvedic remedy for bowel health. Triphala powder or Churna is helpful in treating constipation that is the major reason for piles.
What is Triphala Powder?
Triphala powder is a mixture of Ayurvedic medicinal herbs that are used to treat various ailments from the stomach to dental problems. Triphala is a mixture of three plants namely – Amla, Bibhitaki and Haritaki.
- Amla: Amla, commonly known as Indian gooseberry, is the oldest ancient fruit that is available everywhere in India. It is a sour and fibrous textured fruit. Amla is used to make pickle, mouth fresheners, or cooked into dishes. It is used as medicines to treat problems like constipation. Amla is a rich source of vitamin C, amino acids and minerals.
- Bibhitaki: It is used as Ayurvedic medicine to treat viral and bacterial infection. It reduces uric acid levels in the body which is very helpful for gout patients.
- Haritaki: It is an Ayurvedic herb that grows all over India, Middle East, China and Thailand. It is an important component in Triphala powder. Haritaki is also known as the “king of medicines” in Ayurveda. Haritaki has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that make Triphala for piles effective.
Triphala for piles is effective due to the following reasons:
- It cures constipation and softens stools.
- Triphala powder reduces congestion in the intestinal veins.
- It gives flexibility to the blood vessels of the anus and lower rectum further improving the blood circulation.
- Triphala is a non-habit forming laxative with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Triphala helps in a regular and complete evacuation of the bowels.
How to make Triphala powder at home?
Here are the ingredients used to make Triphala powder at home:
- Amla 80 grams
- Bibhitaki 40 grams
- Haritaki 20 grams
- Mortar and pestle
The method of making this powder is as follows:
- Take all the ingredients in the given amounts and dry them completely.
- After they dry up, take them one by one and ground them into a fine powder.
- Sieve the powder and mix all the powdered ingredients well.
- Store them in an airtight container.
Ways to take Triphala powder for piles at home
There are different ways to take Triphala to cure piles:
- Consume it in the form of tea: Take a tablespoon of Triphala powder and add one cup of water. Boil and strain it. You can add honey to taste. You can take this tea 2-3 times a day. (Also read: Liquid diet for hemorrhoids)
- Triphala powder with lemon and honey: Some people directly gulp Triphala powder while others find the taste strange. Thus you can mix honey and lemon juice in Triphala powder and consume it.
- Triphala in the form of capsule and tablet: For those who cannot take this powder, there are herbal capsules of Triphala available in the market. Consult a doctor or ask the pharmacist and do not take more than prescribed dosage or as mentioned on the package.
For maximum benefits, you must consume Triphala Churna with lukewarm water or by taking it with warm milk.
Warning and precautions
Here are certain precautionary measures that you should consider before taking Triphala Churna for piles:
- Although Triphala is a safe Ayurvedic medicine and good for people suffering from diabetes, it is better to consult your doctor before taking this Ayurvedic remedy for piles on a regular basis.
- Refrain from taking more than the recommended dosage or as prescribed by your doctor. It may cause dehydration.
- Avoid giving it to kids without the consultation of the doctor. This is because an excess amount of Triphala powder may upset the stomach of your kid and cause diarrhea or other digestive issues.
- Triphala powder is rich in fiber, therefore, if you consume more than the necessary amount, it may lead to bloating.
- A pregnant and breastfeeding mother should avoid Triphala. It may lead to natural abortion or miscarriage. This herbal medicine can also pass through breast milk to the baby; therefore, breastfeeding moms should avoid taking it. (Also read: Piles in Pregnancy)
Can Triphala powder interact with medication?
Whenever you are taking Triphala powder for piles, you must ensure that there is a gap of 10-12 hours before you take any other medication. If you do not follow, there are chances that Triphala powder interacts with your other medications. This is one of the side-effects of Triphala powder. The best way to clear confusion is to consult your doctor and ask how to take medicines when you are taking Triphala Churna.
There are several Ayurveda treatments for piles with many effective herbal medicines to cure piles. You can consume them, however, it is best to consult an Ayurveda expert or a general physician to avoid further complications. You can consult a Pristyn Care Piles specialist to know about the problems and treatment if you think Ayurveda medicines in piles are not effective.
Also read: Kshar Sutra Treatment for Piles
Also read: Piles treatment for Diabetics