A lot of people doubt if there is any permanent cure for fissure. Before getting in the detail of how Anal Fissure treatment can be conducted, we need to know what an anal fissure is. It is a small tear in the thin, moist tissue called mucosa that lines the anus.
An anal fissure may occur during a bowel movement when you pass hard or large stools. Anal fissure cause pain, bleeding or spasms in the ring of muscle at the end of your anus (anal sphincter).
Anal fissure is very common in infants and children but can affect people of any age. An anal fissure commonly heals on its own within four to six weeks. In case it doesn’t, medical treatment or surgery can relieve discomfort.
Know the causes of Anal Fissure
Depending on the age group, the reasons can be different. However, the common causes of anal fissure include:
- Passing large or hard stools
- Constipation and straining during bowel movements
- Chronic diarrhea
- Anal intercourse
Additionally, there are some least common causes of the same are the following:
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Anal cancer
What are the symptoms of fissure?
Anal fissure may cause following symptoms:
- a visible tear in the skin around the anus
- a skin tag, or small lump of skin, next to the tear
- sharp pain in the anal region during bowel movements
- streaks of blood in stools or on toilet paper after wiping
- burning or itching in the anal area
What are the risk factors of Anal fissure?
The risk factors of anal fissure include:
- Infancy: Though the reason is yet to be figured out, many infants experience anal fissures in their first years of life.
- Adults: The blood circulation tends to slow down as people grow older. This can lead to an increased risk of anal fissures during later stage of life.
- Constipation: Straining during bowel movements can lead to anal fissure.
- Childbirth: After a woman gives birth to a child, she is more prone to experience fissure.
- Crohn’s disease and inflammatory bowel disease(IBD): Crohn’s disease and other problems that lead to inflammation of the bowel can lead to a number of problems with the health of the digestive tract causing anal fissure.
- Anal Intercourse: The rectal tissues experience strain during anal intercourse which may result in anal fissure.
How is Anal Fissure Diagnosed?
Anal fissure can usually be diagnosed by physical examination where the doctor gently separating the buttocks, allowing for visual inspection of the region around the anus. A fissure is most commonly appears in the 12 or 6 o’clock position. Fissure in other locations is more likely to be associated with an underlying disorder (eg, Crohn disease).
A rectal examination may be done where the doctor inserts a gloved finger into the anus or anoscopy (insertion of a small instrument to view the anal canal) can often be avoided in the initial diagnosis of fissure. If another medical condition has contributed to the development of the fissure, further diagnosis may be required.
Above all, in case of unclear diagnosis, sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy is recommended, especially if rectal bleeding is noticed. A colonoscopy is preferred in older patients and can also be used to screen for colorectal cancer. A sigmoidoscopy may be enough for patients with no risk factors for colorectal cancer or intestinal diseases.
Prevention of Anal Fissure
Even though it is a common condition, it can easily be deterred by taking measures to prevent constipation or diarrhea.
- instilling the habit of eating high-fiber foods
- drinking a lot of fluids
- do not sit on the toilet seat for long
- avoid irritants to the skin and
- exercising regularly
How to cure Anal Fissure with Ayurveda?
Ayurveda offers treatment for anal fissure without surgery. It recommends Kshar Karma for this problem. It is said to be an effective treatment with no complications. There isn’t a need for hospitalization or bed rest in Ayurvedic treatment for Anal Fissure.
Also Read: Fistula Treatment in Patanjali
Repeated Kshar Karma sittings are given at weekly intervals. The patient is advised to apply for certain Ayurvedic medicines at home in between these weekly sittings. Depending on how severe is the problem, Anal Fissure gets healed in 3-6 weekly sittings. However, in some cases Fissure cut remains in a dormant state to reappear when there is an episode of constipation.
How to cure Anal Fissure with Home remedies?
Anal fissure can be prevented with home remedies or changing lifestyle techniques which more commonly includes a healthy diet, rich fiber food, drinking plenty of water and non-alcoholic liquids, abstain from restraining, not sitting in the toilets for long hours, regular exercising and physical activities.
- Diet: Include plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Eat prunes and raisins that help soften stools. Bananas can cause constipation, so limit this fruit. Adequate water intake is important.
- Activity: There are no restrictions on activities as such. Keep yourself active.
- Wound care: Sitz Bath is recommended to improve the blood flow in the groin area to relieve pain. Soak the affected area in a tub of warm water 2-3 times a day especially after bowel movements. Pat the anal area to dry.
- Medicines: The doctor may prescribe stool softeners, laxatives and fiber additives. Acetaminophen and/or ibuprofen may help with pain.
- Follow-up care: Keep in touch with your gastroenterologist doctor to make sure the fissure is healing and that the constipation is getting better.
Natural Remedies to Cure Fissure
Here are some natural remedies to treat fissure:
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera has astringent property that helps to decline the skin irritation related to anal fissure. Aloe vera gel can be inserted in a syringe or even take a slice of aloe vera and apply the gel directly onto the affected area.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is used to treat fissure as well as piles as it has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which help to shrink the size of swollen blood vessels in the anal canal. Take one teaspoon of olive oil daily.
- Comfrey: Comfrey is also one the home remedies for anal fissure as it has allantoin that increases the proliferation of healthy cells that heals anal fissure. Both leaves and roots have medicinal properties that regenerate the skin tissues and increase the growth of cells. Apply the paste of comfrey root powder and olive oil or flax seed to the anal area.
- Coconut Oil: The coconut oil softens the fissure area (cracks) as it has wound healing property. It can be applied directly on to the sphincter at least 2-3 times daily.
- Flax Seed: Flax seed has omega-3 fatty acids as well as fiber, so it is very helpful in treating Constipation, a major reason which causes anal skin fissure. Also, it has laxative properties which decrease the need for straining during a bowel movement. Take a tablespoon of flaxseed powder with water before bedtime.
- Apple cider vinegar: All you have to do is mix 1-2 tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of honey in a glass of water and drink it twice daily. You will eventually be relieved from the problem of anal fissure.
Medical Treatment for Fissure
Medical treatment is the next course of action when home remedies do not work. It is aimed at eliminating constipation, softening stools, and reducing anal sphincter spasm. The procedures are:
- Fiber therapy: Fiber supplements are available commercially that include psyllium, methylcellulose and many more. These supplements absorb water and increase stool bulk, which improves the regularity of bowel habits while softening stools. But the side-effects may include bloating and gas.
- Laxatives: Laxative such as fybogel encourages peristalsis and stimulates the gut to pass the stool. Make sure you talk to the doctor before taking them about which type of laxative is best for you.
- Over-the-counter ointments: There are many over-the-counter creams, ointments and suppositories that you can buy to help relieve the discomfort caused due to fissure.
- Topical nifedipine and topical nitroglycerin: Topical nifedipine reduces the internal anal sphincter pressure. Nifedipine is usually prescribed to treat high blood pressure but is best used for fissure treatment when applied directly to the perianal skin.
Nitroglycerin also results in reducing pressure of the internal anal sphincter, which decreases pain. Confirm the dosage of these medicines with the doctor before taking them as overdose may be a problem.
When to call the doctor?
The home remedies are not always successful in the later stages of Anal Fissure. Call the doctor or seek medical attention if the above remedies do not work. You notice redness around the anus, drainage of pus, inability to stool, swelling or the belly, vomiting or inability to eat.
How to Permanently Cure Anal Fissure with Laser Treatment?
If you think you have tried all available treatments for anal fissure and still the pain lingers then contact the doctor for the right treatment.
Laser surgery for fissure is exactly what you need! It is a new paradigm in Proctology, laser ablation of fissure is the new methods to treat anal fissure effectively. The advantages of laser treatment for anal fissure:
- It is minimally invasive so no cuts and no stitches
- Instant relief from pain and discomfort
- The procedure does not take time
- The patient can resume normal activities within the next two days
- No scar after some time of the surgery as there are no cuts
- Minimum pain post-surgery
- Negligible recurrence rate
With Laser Treatment one is able to avoid surgery. Laser surgery aims at curing anal fissures in the holistic manner. It improves the digestive system along a with curing the immediate symptoms of anal fissures.
Laser not only treats and cures the cause of anal fissure it is able to cure the chronic form of anal fissures too. Through laser surgery, patient is able to eradicate the tendency for fissure which means anal fissures is permanently cured. It completely eradicates the fissure as well as the tendency to form fissures without any adverse or side effects.
Get the best laser treatment for anal fissure because this treatment not only concentrate on just healing the spot, but recover a whole disease caused things. It strengthens the affected part with more blood supply and heals the wound in a better way.